Hive check today

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just that some reports on here of pollen going in hives- I have observed all mine- none witnessed

Neopoll is mostly sugar with added pollen. It is not a pollen substitute in its own right. There will be some parts of the country where willow is coming into flower and providing lots of pollen so nothing wrong in feeding them with Neopoll but once started I suggest you need to keep feeding them because if you encourage brood rearing there will be more mouths to feed, which is the real danger really - the colony building up early and running out of stores. Neopoll provides protein and carbohydrates but you could switch to normal fondant after the first dose if you don't have any more to give them.

Thanks Rooftops (and everybody else)
I do have more so I might as well continue, but lesson learned.
A bit early here but some hazel is out and winter aconite still.
All three were busy flying today. I have a plastic trug filled with moss where they were filling up with water. Some were on orientation flights and some zooming off to heaven knows where. Nice to see :)
Couldn't see any pollen coming in.

I'm going to rap the hive up ,me thinks.might help,hope so.
Also put some fondant between the frames
Thanks for the help

I'm going to rap the hive up ,me thinks.might help,hope so.
Also put some fondant between the frames
Thanks for the help

When I saw mine collecting pollen last week, I couldn't actually see any. Now they weren't out this week, there is a tree a few feet away heavy with catkins. Don't know what it is, mind. Will have to check.

It would be a nice thought, too think that they where all out after some pollen.
:)

My "double decker" Apidea is still going strong. Last Autumn I took the feed container out of the single Apidea and put in two extra frames, I then added a 2nd Apidea configured the same way on top. I then fed them thymolated syrup in a 1lb jar feeder until the top box frames were full.

They are now taking fondant through the hole in the plastic cover (used to introduce a queen cell) and are on their 2nd "sardine tin" sized block. If and it is a big IF February is not too severe I am confident that they will make it:D

Sounds like they are doing fine.You make it sound easy, might give a nuc a go at over wintering :)

When I saw mine collecting pollen last week, I couldn't actually see any. Now they weren't out this week, there is a tree a few feet away heavy with catkins. Don't know what it is, mind. Will have to check.
Hazel, no doubt

might give a nuc a go at over wintering

WB,

Of the five colonies in my garden, the most active again were the two polynucs I got from M*dern Beekeeping. Not yet put any feed on them, but will be monitoring their weight during the next cold snap.

Nucs are good for insurance, should they be needed to save/bolster colonies in the spring. Once you are confident you would likely not be without a couple (unless used late in the year to reinforce/requeen a less-strong colony).

Two Nationals were fairly active and the one Dartington was way behind time-wise (they were bringing out a few corpses, later).

The order of the colonies (west to east) is Nuc, Dartington, Nuc, National, National.
The Dartington has side insulation and the colony is located mid-ships.

Regards, RAB

RAB
Are you going to add the nucs to a hive no matter if needed or not, or hive them and make increase ?
So i take it a few nucs is a good idea each yr even if increase is not wanted.

Regards
WB

add the nucs to a hive no matter if needed or not

WB,

It is just one option, hopefully of several. I can run them on if the queens have promise (useful traits). Never sold any on. Just options, options, options.

My priority is strong colonies into winter and these are strong nucs - better than some of my others this year, unfortunately, so I am expecting them to make full productive colonies early on.

Regards, RAB

Thanks Rab
I'm going to make some up this yr for sure.

Latest posts

Back