Hive busy with drones

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IPMoody

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 (and a nuc!)
Day 3 of being an official beekeper and the novelty of watching my progeny hasn't worn off yet! I was struck by the number of drones flying in and out of the hive (and their size!). I have 6 frames recently transfered from a nuc, 3 fresh frames and dummies in the remaining space. There were no queen cells when we transferred the frames across on Monday but didn't note how many of the cells were drone.

I'm not overly concerned, but it seemed like a good excuse to get involved with the forum and use my new avatar (one of my girls returning to the hive, in between the Hagrids of the bee world!)

Day 3 of being an official beekeper and the novelty of watching my progeny hasn't worn off yet!

I beg your pardon? I love my bees, but not that much. Not literally...

Oh, and welcome.

Welcome.

You may be interested in a recent thread about numerous drones in a hive - here:

http://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=10877

Also, you might be interested in "At the Hive Entrance" by H. Storch, which I found very informative in helping to decode what's going on whilst watching the bees going about their business. You can get an electronic copy from the internet for nothing, if your scruples will stand it. :)

Happy watching.

Latest posts

Back