Hints and Instructions to Beginners in Bee Culture

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
>20
I am just back from a lunchtime meander and thought I'd share a snippet from an impulse purchase in a nearby charity shop. Over the years i have purchased a few bee keeping books in this shop and so I pop in from time to time and always look at the books on display in the window when passing. Today there was an early copy of Hooper's "Guide to Bees and Honey" on display with "something else" tucked into the back pages. I popped in, grabbed the book from the the display (noting that it is a Second Impression from 1979)and paid the grand total of £2.50 for it. I then looked at the "something else" tucked into the back pages.
The "something else" is a copy of the Ministry of Agriculture, Fisheries and Food, Bulletin 9, entitled "Beekeeping". A further bonus was a wee leaflet entitled "Hints and Instructions to Beginners in Bee Culture", printed for and on behalf of R. Steel & Brodie. Two pieces of advice are made prominent on the leaflet and I will share these:
  • Never open the hive unless you have a good reason for doing so.
  • Over-manipulation will only disorganise the bees and reduce honey production.

Sound advice on both counts, incidentally you can still buy a copy of that booklet from Amazon,

Latest posts

Back