Hi!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolcevita

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I plan to (try) and start keeping bees this year and I'm in the 'research and plan' stage of things so that I can be at least a little prepared for when things get going as the weather warms up. I've just been taking a look at my local bee keeping associations and hope to join one soon - the more help the better, I think.

I bought a starter kit late last summer to get familiar with it all, I put it all together and have done very little with it since so it's time to put it all to work. I'm looking forward to an interesting time!

Thanks for the welcome.

I have a hive - bought along with the starter kit late last summer. It's one of the really nice looking (!) polystyrene nationals, but I'm sure that the aesthetics of the hive won't matter too much to the bees. Function over form is my main concern whilst I'm getting to grips with things.

Welcome - there's a lot to learn, but the rewards (honey, healthy bees, satisfaction, helping others learn...) are worth the effort. Enjoy!

Welcome.

It would be a good idea to contact a local association as many run theory courses at this time of year so you have some idea of what to expect.

No substitute for practical experience, but a good way to start.

:welcome:my tip for what it's worth ,get used to lighting your smoker ,nothing worse than it going out when you need it ..

Top tip - buy more kit. Running out of hives was a problem for me my first year when they went to swarm mode.

I plan to (try) and start keeping bees this year and I'm in the 'research and plan' stage of things so that I can be at least a little prepared for when things get going as the weather warms up. I've just been taking a look at my local bee keeping associations and hope to join one soon - the more help the better, I think.

I bought a starter kit late last summer to get familiar with it all, I put it all together and have done very little with it since so it's time to put it all to work. I'm looking forward to an interesting time!

Welcome. I hope your local association gives as much help as mine did for me. A knowledgeable friend or mentor is also a massive bonus especially if they are available simply to be there when you start your first bee handling. :welcome:

Good luck with the beekeeping, as mentioned join an association or even better get a mentor, better still both.

Good luck with the beekeeping, as mentioned join an association or even better get a mentor, better still both.

:iagree:
And get on a beginners course if you can - they're starting about now.

Don't forget to paint your hive - have a search on here, there have been a couple of threads on the subject

Welcome ... always lots of good advice on here .. when you've finished reading all the books, done the course, watched all the (often rubbish !) YouTube videos and got some bees then this is the place to find all the answers you won't find elsewhere (Along with some incredibly good ideas that are not even IN the books ....).

Latest posts

Back