Hi everyone, looking forward to discussing my many questions about our fast friends!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swizz

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi everyone, I am a new beekeeper of 3 years. I bought British standard brood boxes and now have decided that they are too small for my queens I have had over the years. Swarming has been a problem. I have looked at increasing capacity with doing double brood, brood and a half or using a Hamilton frame. Hamilton frame would mean commercial frames and additional costs. Is it feasible to add an eke under the brood box to increase length of frame foundation used? Would they think that’s great for more drone laying? I’m trying to solve congestion without spending a lot mor money on gear.
Any advice appreciated thank you

Swarming is nigh on over hopefully. Maybe try moving the colonies to 14 x12 and gradually moving the old frames out. Something to consider next season?

14x12 is effectively brood and a half and if you’ve tried double broods then your actually reducing space in 14x12 unless you plan to double them. Learn to manage the brood area remove honey clogged frames, use 3 broods I often do. At the end of the flow push the queen back into 2 of them. You won’t cure swarming by just adding bigger boxes. Bees surround the brood area with honey so look at easing that area! Look at your bees, I’ve got buckfasts most home reared if I keep in front with space and an open brood area few show an inclination to swarm.

14x12 is effectively brood and a half and if you’ve tried double broods then your actually reducing space in 14x12 unless you plan to double them. Learn to manage the brood area remove honey clogged frames, use 3 broods I often do. At the end of the flow push the queen back into 2 of them. You won’t cure swarming by just adding bigger boxes. Bees surround the brood area with honey so look at easing that area! Look at your bees, I’ve got buckfasts most home reared if I keep in front with space and an open brood area few show an inclination to swarm.
When you push queen back onto 2 what happens to 3rd brood box?

Can I ask, do you think British Standard single brood box is never going to be big enough for an average colony? Am I fighting a loosing battle and need to embrace the reality. If so why are BS brood boxes made that size?
Hindsight’s a wonderful thing. Wish I’d bought bigger brood boxes☹️

Does anyone out there cope with BS single brood and 2 supers? If so please share your experience with them

Does anyone out there cope with BS single brood and 2 supers? If so please share your experience with them
You will never stop swarming. It is how bees reproduce. I cope most of the time with single brood but also have brood and a half and double brood when it becomes necessary. Combining for example.

When you push queen back onto 2 what happens to 3rd brood box?
You extract it and take the honey! In answer to your other questions re the box sizes. Forget the size of the box you could have a huge box and the bees will still honey bound the brood area it’s natural. Learn to manage the hive. You could happily have all supers as broods you’d just need more of them.

Why would you want to cope with this set up, if the bees require more room let them have it. There is no need to restrict yourself to a number of boxes of any description. Many at this time in the season will have multiple broods and supers on large hives. Unless of course you live in Sussex (ignore that not aimed at you)

Last edited:
Why would you want to cope with this set up, if the bees require more room let them have it. There is no need to restrict yourself to a number of boxes of any description. Many at this time in the season will have multiple broods and supers on large hives. Unless of course you live in Sussex (ignore that not aimed at you)
Ok . I now see what I need to do. I appreciate your advice. Thank you

PS I don’t live in Sussex, but I would love to be in on the joke🧐

why are BS brood boxes made that size?

This was mentioned in another thread recently. Sometimes it's just down to what people had available at the time. It's said for instance that Langstroth created his hive from a champagne shipping crate.

Oddly enough, a national brood box isn't that far off what has been observed to be swarming bees preferred size for a cavity when looking for a new home, but it's entirely possible that swarming more often is a positive survival trait for feral bees so having a smaller cavity than we would consider optimal for our purposes may suit them well.

James

You will never stop swarming. It is how bees reproduce. I cope most of the time with single brood but also have brood and a half and double brood when it becomes necessary. Combining for example.
I also manage mostly on single brood but will add a second if they need it. I avoid brood and a half as I hate dealing with the supers but have a few 14 x 12's.
As above you will not stop swarming, you just have to manage it by giving space before they need it.

PS I don’t live in Sussex, but I would love to be in on the joke🧐
You are not missing anything, it was not even funny at the time - people really should not introduce random in-jokes into a thread in the beginners section. I was going to delete that sentence and forgot ...bit late now.

It’s ok, I read about it. I joined this forum for insight and advice so anything about beekeeping- good or not, is of interest to me. Just feel like the awkward kid at high school who hasn’t got a clue….unless you have a swarm needing catching which is why I ended up with bees!

Latest posts

Back