Winter Feeding Question

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put fondant straight onto top bars if needed, small eke, then closed crow board, then insulation . That way I do not have to worry about where exactly the cluster is.

If you keep the inspection trays in place, you can see the position of the cluster without having to remove the crown board.
Some folk, me included, give the bees a fully open entrance, protected by a mouse guard, whilst leaving the varroa tray in place to reduce draught. Sufficient ventilation less icy blasts.

You can see that after a few days. If permanent it may get stuck, mouldy and so thick with debris, nothing is identifiable

Bees don't seem to be taking fondant down very readily and it seems a bit hard on one of the hives. Is it ok to just leave it on from now until spring?

If you keep the inspection trays in place, you can see the position of the cluster without having to remove the crown board.
Some folk, me included, give the bees a fully open entrance, protected by a mouse guard, whilst leaving the varroa tray in place to reduce draught. Sufficient ventilation less icy blasts.

You can see that after a few days. If permanent it may get stuck, mouldy and so thick with debris, nothing is identifiable
Fair comment.
However, for hobbyists with their hives at home, like myself, this is not an issue, I can assure you.

Please ..NO queen excluder in a hive now.:devilish:. Cleaned and stored.
Crown board on top of frames, and a pack of fondant (well insulated to stop it drying ) on hole in crown board over where the bees are. other hole covered (I use a tile)
If bees to one side, adjust crown board position. In a month check if they have used it. If not, gently lift crown board to reassess position of bees. There isn't a problem in winter to open hive quickly to see if bees have moved on the frames. Just be aware of their situation within the hive. Insulate above the crown board as our Welsh friend soundly advises.
I'm not far from you - is it ok to remove the queen excluder when the weather is a little breezy and fresh like it is at the moment? I have set up my hives with a QX over the brood box, then a crown board with food over the holes in the board, but notice you strongly advise removing the excluder.

I'm not far from you - is it ok to remove the queen excluder when the weather is a little breezy and fresh like it is at the moment? I have set up my hives with a QX over the brood box, then a crown board with food over the holes in the board, but notice you strongly advise removing the excluder.
In your case it's safe, albeit pointless. we're talking about queen excluders being in place between brood and supers. As you are just feeding above the crown board, the cluster doesn't need to move up there anyway.
I would just remove the QX because as I said, there's no point in it being there. but yes, it's fine to remove it now - it will only take seconds

Thank you. I don't want to impede any movement between the cluster and the food so I'll take it out. It will also give me a chance to see where the cluster currently is.

Bees don't seem to be taking fondant down very readily and it seems a bit hard on one of the hives. Is it ok to just leave it on from now until spring?
I fed my hives with syrup till the weather got cold. removed the Apivar strips and gave them a tray of Fondant. checked yesterday after about a week and they have cleaned every single bit of it. next reasonable day I will top it up again.

If it's close enough to the cluster? I would leave it, Bees will eat candy and that's solid as a rock it just takes longer..
Are they OK for weight?
A strong colony?

If it's close enough to the cluster? I would leave it, Bees will eat candy and that's solid as a rock it just takes longer..
Are they OK for weight?
A strong colony?
That was back on Oct 10th Curly, things have moved on! I removed the hard fondant and replaced with fresh; all taken down now. Will check again in the winter.

Latest posts

Back