Hi everyone, looking forward to discussing my many questions about our fast friends!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It’s ok, I read about it. I joined this forum for insight and advice so anything about beekeeping- good or not, is of interest to me. Just feel like the awkward kid at high school who hasn’t got a clue….unless you have a swarm needing catching which is why I ended up with bees!
Apologies for joining in.
You won’t be the new kid in the block for long.
A few jokes are no bad thing. Saves the forum being simply an encyclopaedia

use 3 broods I often do
Same here, and swarming is much reduced.

The honey company I work for goes further, and uses BBs only, without QXs; swarming is low when the queen has the run of 4 boxes by May.

As Ian said, take out honey frames (extract and return) and give foundation; scratch or bruise honey within the nest to get them to move it up.

A bigger box is tempting but multiples of smaller boxes are far more manageable and offer flexibility, and beekeeper flexibility is key in the first half of the season.

Above all, get boxes on earlier.

why are BS brood boxes made that size?
When the format was defined (eventually in 1946, to a British Standard) queens may have been less prolific and box size adequate.

To keep a productive colony in one National BB will take skill in selecting for queens that produce small colonies but satisfactory yields, and that in turn takes much experience.

Latest posts

Back