Hex jar true oz and ml

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Childs10

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi all,

I’ve been looking at getting some more 12oz Hex jars but I can only find 12oz/ 280ml Hex jars. I thought 12oz’s was 340ml’s??

What is the true ml for a 12oz hex jar?

Many thanks

I think that 12oz is 340g according to the labels. How that relates to ml depends on the density of the contents. The old puzzle for kids - which is heavier a gram of feathers or a gram of lead!

340g is 12oz.
The higher density of honey means that 340g fits in a 280ml jar.
If it was water you'd need 340ml.
Thank you…

What would I put on the label? 12oz/280ml?

You can prove all this to yourself by putting an empty jar on a kitchen scale, set it to 0 and then see how much honey fits in the jar. That is what goes on the label in grammes

I only input grams as the content weight on all my labels, depending on the jar size used I adjust the gram weight for the label. With my Dymo printer changing from 340g to 300g or 320g for a slightly smaller jar is no problem.

One reason why I posted regarding the 228ml jar to see if anyone had an exact real world figure in grams.
We know typically 1.4- 1.42g is the approx. honey density but doing the maths the weight does look rather high.
Looks like I will have to wait until the jars arrive to carry out an exact scales reading.

Last edited:
Sorry I mean 12oz/280g
As above, 340g is required by the regs. Forget the 12oz as it's not required and we don't live in 1947.

You will find that 340g fits neatly into the neck of that jar and pleases the subconscious eye of the consumer, but does not do so in all hex sizes and so they look under-filled. This is how I resolve neck visuals:

Put 340 into a 340g/280ml/12oz jar.
Put 235g into a 227g/190ml/8oz jar
Put 135g into a 113g/4oz/110ml jar

Overfill by 2g to be safe; label and sell at 340, 235 and 135; to achieve consistency, calculate your price by g/p: mine is currently 0.0295.

https://www.freemanharding.co.uk/xi...ing-regulations-in-the-uk.html?page_type=post
https://www.thorne.co.uk/honey-labelling-advice
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2015/1348

But at the end of the day, as long as you put on the label the weight you have put in the jar it doesn't matter what size it is. I don't really see the problem unless you buy pre printed labels

And yet there are liquid ounces, more specifically 1/160 parts of an imperial gallon defined in 1824 as the volume occupied by 10 pounds of water at standard temperature.

Oh my... we really are getting into 'how many angels can dance on the head of a pin' territory !

Decide what weight you are going to put in your jars (340gm = 12oz) (227gm = 8oz). Set the jar on the scales, set the tare to zero and fill to your chosen weight. Label up accordingly .. it ain't rocket science !!

Latest posts

Back