Pound Jars or 12 oz

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
Hi I know this may have been on here on the forum before but can't seem to find it, the question is do Pound Jars sell better than 12oz. Thanks in advance

Look on your local supermarket shelves. The honey and jam is overwhelmingly in 340g jars. That seems to be what the customer prefers. One advantage I can see is that you can pitch them at a good price point.

I used to do pound jars but reduced to 12 oz without altering the price. Sold just as well but it doesn't prove anything! If you price your honey per gram then you need less jars so more profit but if you adjust for the jars then there is little difference, both will sell if you have a market

Look on your local supermarket shelves. The honey and jam is overwhelmingly in 340g jars. That seems to be what the customer prefers.

In these situations I tend to believe that it's what the supermarket wants and has persuaded the customer that they'd prefer :D

James

in the current economic climate i would suggest 8oz. This is all about 'price points' and consumer perception. So here in Surrey i can get retail £6.50, however even elsewhere where prices are lower say £5 a jar sounds better than £7.50 for a 12oz. Read up in the press about size deflation, why do big manufacturers do it - because it works to sell more.

Look on your local supermarket shelves. The honey and jam is overwhelmingly in 340g jars. That seems to be what the customer prefers. One advantage I can see is that you can pitch them at a good price point.
In these situations I tend to believe that it's what the supermarket wants and has persuaded the customer that they'd prefer
Years ago when I started to supply a local health food shop, her other main supplier was a bee farmer from the next valley who sold all his honey in pound jars, and at a cheaper price than mine in 12oz jars.
I outsold his every month.

The other thing to consider is branding. I live in a place called Woking/Horsell, 5 miles away is Weybridge where there is a market, when our division puts honey out for sale i sell almost zero why, more local suppliers. People want local honey, this means i brand my honey for sale in Horsell as Horsell Honey, at the Surrey show as Surrey Honey.

The other thing to consider is branding. I live in a place called Woking/Horsell, 5 miles away is Weybridge where there is a market, when our division puts honey out for sale i sell almost zero why, more local suppliers. People want local honey, this means i brand my honey for sale in Horsell as Horsell Honey, at the Surrey show as Surrey Honey.
I agree, my apiaries are all in local villages and are all labelled with that village name. It allows people to choose the one closest to them (I even give the post code of the hives tucked in the bottom of my label) and they love the thought that it's come from "just down the road" (especially the hay fever sufferers 😉)

Thanks for the input will try some 12oz jars aswell as pound jars with the intension of swapping to 12oz if they outsell the pound jars. Thanks again

I just twigged where you are Polymath, do you run the Fairoaks sentinel apiary?

Latest posts

Back