Jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi, I’ve bought some 1lb jars from thornes and getting confused as jar only takes 8oz so what wight to put on label thks

1lb jars from thornes
Likely to be expensive. Try jar companies next time. For example, Freeman & Harding give free delivery above a £50 spend.

If you intend to sell, the label must show, by law, the weight in grammes and the font must be 4mm high. You are not required to put the weight in ounces, which is a relief as a younger buying market thinks in metric.

The 227g jars you have will look underfilled at 228 or 9 (extra 1 or 2g avoids underfilling). Fill instead to 236 or 7 and the honey will sit in the neck; label and sell at 235.

Selling in 454 or 1lb jars is old-school and supresses the price of honey. Next time, try 340g (your 12oz) and notice that the jars are similar in size. Sell at the same price as your old 454 and appreciate the increase in return.

I think I usually label 8oz at 227g
Freeman and Harding 8oz hex jars take 227gm and they are filled to the neck at that weight. Not sure about round 8oz jars ... I never use them these days. I have a few 1 lb jars that are there just for honey shows (most of whom still seem to be stuck in the pre-decimal dark ages !)

280ml of honey weighs around 390g
Take away the volume above the neck and you have 340g which is 12 oz
thanks i was panicking i brought 3 boxes and then i was muddling my self up with grams and ml and thinking the 280 was g not ml then thinking it needed to be 340 and i got 280 but all seems good 12oz=280ml=340g
thanks again i was stressing over it .

50% off many types of jar plus 10%-off voucher plus free delivery over £25 at Hobbycraft now.
I bought a load of 8oz jars from hobbycraft as a stop gap as I couldn’t get a quick delivery from my normal supplier. They seem ok but the hex ones are slightly rounded and they are made in china.
Good price at 42p each tho.

Latest posts

Back