Help wanted!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poll0691

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello all, apoligies if this is in the wrong section, ive just registered, im desperate to have bees but i need everything , hive bees ect and i know nothing about them, please can you help and advise... Andrew.

Hi.
I would start with reading as much as possible here on the forum .But a book helps alot also.Theres a search button at the top, use it .theres lots here on the forum to read.

Welcome to the forum.

I seriously suggest you buy a book and start some reading as with out the back ground info you will struggle not a little.

PH

Hi welcome to forum.

Can I just add to the above comments dont rush into getting them because there is so much to learn even though you might not think it.

Steve

I would advise doing a lot of reading and research first, I spent over 6 months reading up on the subject before I got my first bees.

read read read and ask alot of silly questions on here like i do:willy_nilly:..then get a nuc of bees, a bees suit,few empty hives and everything else that goes along with it.oh and makes friends with a fellow beekeeper who knows there stuff....sure whatever mistakes you make this year at least you'll know for next..luck
Darren

Thanks everybody, ive read all your advise and yea it makes sense to read all about it first then take one step at a time, Andrew.

I'm a very New Bee. Hive is here & built but still waiting for my bees to arrive.
I have found that you can only learn so much from a book. You have made a very good startby registering here. I lurked for a long time before taking the plunge.
I have found my local beekeeping association a very useful place to go and the other people there will answer any 'stupid' questions. I know, I have asked one of the most basic & wasn't shot down. :) I also have a couple of beekeepers nearby that I didn't know about who will brobably be getting a knock on the door from a strange, white suited individual with a ' What do i do now?' question. I know I will get an answer too.

Andrew,
Welcome to the forum. I think everyone has given good advice so far...so I thought I would ask a question...

You stated that you were desperate to have some bees ... is there a specific reason for your desperation?

Like all things you learn through experience and so if you have some sensible support resources, some reasonable expectations, and a bee friendly attitude you should be fine.

I wish you luck with your potential new hobby and hope to see you fully engaged in forum life soon,

Sam

I have found that you can only learn so much from a book.
I have found my local beekeeping association a very useful place to go and the other people there will answer any 'stupid' questions.

Going to your local beekeeping association is a must, as you don't know if beekeeping is for you until you have been hands on.

Good Luck

Duncan

Andrew,
Welcome to the forum. I think everyone has given good advice so far...so I thought I would ask a question...

You stated that you were desperate to have some bees ... is there a specific reason for your desperation?

Like all things you learn through experience and so if you have some sensible support resources, some reasonable expectations, and a bee friendly attitude you should be fine.

I wish you luck with your potential new hobby and hope to see you fully engaged in forum life soon,

Sam

Hi sam, ive always been fasinated with bees and the more i see them in gardens or on the tv the more i want a hive and we are in a postion now to have one , we have chickens, we re growing our own veg and plants and our garden in the summer is a mass of colour , flowers , roses ect, so i am going to get a hive and equipment first then when i know enough, get the bees, is there a certain time in the year to get them ?? oh and they will be up on a flat roof overlooking the garden....Andrew.

Hello and welcome to the forum,
It was 11 months from me registering here on the forum before i got my first bee's.
I had read around 8 or 10 good bee books, attended a theory course with my local ass, and then a 6 week practical course.
I was very excited to get my bee's and when they arrived i just sat in the garden watching them with amazement!
for a few weeks all was well, then through lack of experience i think i damaged the queen on an inspection, i had queen cells built, i split them and tried to raise a new queen in another hive hoping i would end up with 2 colonys, only 1 was succcessfull so ended up re uniting them and back to 1 colony. it was a stressfull and worrying time as a new bee keeper, even with all the preperation i had done it was a very steep learning curve.
so i would agree with all the above advice.
Having said all that, it is a wonderfull pastime, i am sure you will enjoy it.
just be warned that failing to prepare is like preparing to fail.
Enjoy :)

Hi sam, ive always been fasinated with bees and the more i see them in gardens or on the tv the more i want a hive and we are in a postion now to have one , we have chickens, we re growing our own veg and plants and our garden in the summer is a mass of colour , flowers , roses ect, so i am going to get a hive and equipment first then when i know enough, get the bees, is there a certain time in the year to get them ?? oh and they will be up on a flat roof overlooking the garden....Andrew.

If you are QUICK, you might just get on the course your local beekeeping association will be runing, but you will have to get your skates on as it may be starting this week!

Welcome to the forum- now join your nearest bee Association.

join a local bee ass. , read books and try to get a local beekeeper as ur tutor/ mentor

Ditto that!!! Most associations run beginners' courses which, as a beekeeper of just two years, I recommend you do if there is the chance to. My course was free with local beekeeping association membership so I got weeks of tuition and back up advice for just £18!!

A course will help you avoid the pitfalls and help you build up working relationships with other more experienced beekeepers upon whom you can call for advice, which wouldn't be possible if you go it alone.

My course started in February but they are very popular now so find your local association and get your name down for 2012.

I would also agree that getting a good book and doing lots of reading will be a big help. I didn't do this and regretted it once the course had begun.

I agree. Join your local beekeeping association. Our association has a swarm list and one of the experienced guys has nucs later in the season.

Back