Help needed!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have just been out checking my chickens and had a quick glimpse at the hive and noticed I have forgotten to replace the dummy board from the brood frame. Should I put it in. I have about nine frames of bees in there now. I have not been feeding them or anything as there is a big field of clover and meadw sweet beside the hive.

I would normally agree with the suggestions given but in your case I would take a different course of action if the weather changes and you get a spell of sun shine and warm days. I would inspect the hive again quickly but carefully for all the suggested things on this thread and put the 10th frame in.

I know it is a bit late in the season to suggest this but if they are covering 9 frames most bee keepers would put a super on at that stage. You say you have your hive next to a large field of clover and meadow sweet which between them can produce a lot of nectar between May through to August. I dont want to scare you but in a good full year with consistent weather a hive near clover can collect up to 200-500 lbs of nectar.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Northern_nectar_sources_for_honey_bees

If the weather changes and we have another late summer like last year reaching into September the clover may well still produce plenty of nectar. I would put a super on and cross your fingers as clover honey is lovely. If it has dried up you haven't lost any thing, but they may well draw out some of the frames for you ready for next year.

Fingers crossed for you !

why you have to have ply over the bee escape?

If you have Porter bee escapes fitted, they are likely propolised up by now! I found that the bees left very little top ventilation, if any, when I had gauze over the feeder holes in my early days - they just propolised it up. With OMFs, I don't bother with crownboards with holes in them - just not needed. Think colony in a tree - they cope without extra ventilation, so my hives are fine.

Regards, RAB

I don't bother with crownboards with holes in them - just not needed.

I do....find it so much easier when feeding,full colonys or nuc's,syrup or fondant...hole is easily covered when not in use.

Hivemaker,

Yes, they are still around I call them clearer boards. The crownboards I now make are a simple square of (mostly) 9mm ply. Top bee space keeps things simple in that department. I usually carry one with me when at an out apiary and am likely to need same.

Regards, RAB

I see.....so you put your clearer boards on for feeding then change them around for your solid one's when not feeding.
Most of mine,especially for the nuc's have three holes, and deep sides,act like a feed cassette, that can be filled solid with fondant for overwintering.
My clearer boards are just that...and don't have any moving parts like the primitive porter escapes...but could in no way be used for feeding,bee's could not get to it.

Last edited:
I think if you are top space (as I am) then a simple piece of no holes ply is best. I only run six colonies and have an Ashforth for each.

Is 9mm ply OK not to warp?

The 5.5mm supplied by Thornes warps with the heat from the hive.

I'll be making some this winter from 9 or 12.

Is 9mm ply OK not to warp?

The 5.5mm supplied by Thornes warps with the heat from the hive.

I'll be making some this winter from 9 or 12.

add a surround of 25 mm square section, and you can use it as an 'apiguard' board, saves messing about with flimsy little ekes when treating hives in autumn.

Flat 9mm ply will not warp no. (assuming good quality ply!)

PH

Latest posts

Back