Help/advice quickly needed

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martin G

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Had a swarm earlier which split into two 'clusters'. One, rather fortunately, went into a bait hive, the other on a branch about 10M away. 2 hours later the bait hive cluster seems to have all gone in, the branch cluster seems to have settled down with few flying bees.

Should I expect that they are the same swarm and will join up or would the advice be to collect the branch cluster and put into a nuc.

My thinking is that they are one swarm and eventually they'll join together with the q- cluster joining the other.

And it's just started to rain, oh joy!

We had a garden swarm do that - thought that we had a small cast - and 2 hours later thousands turned up and moved in too! :)

forgot to mention that the bait hive is about 35foot up a tree which I raise and lower with a rope and pulley system and I didn't want to disturb them until it was dark

Maybe with a QX between the two halves just in case. It may filter out any 2nd queen.

Thanks all, as per Jenkins I popped them both in a hive together. When I got the two groups together I found the majority of the swarm was in the tree. Just finished 'mopping up' the last stragglers and moved them to their new location.

Fairly sure they were from one swarm so they should be ok.

Latest posts

Back