Swarm in reverse....

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
Langstroth
Number of Hives
22c , overcast, scattered showers.
About half an hour ago I glanced out of the kitchen window and noticed A LOT of airborne bees around one of hives (a big colony this year despite swarming back in May). Oh great, I thought, they're swarming. Then I realised they weren't settling anywhere and it was more like an orientation as they were mostly facing the hive. It was a huge urgent pile on to get into the hive. The landing board was swamped, there were piles of bees falling off onto the floor, more bees coming in from behind them trying to get in. 5 minutes later it was all over and the bees were all in the hive. I just stood there wondering what had happened.
Had a sudden drop in atmospheric pressure caused this behaviour? Had they attempted a swarm but immediately had a change of heart?
Any other suggestions?
My husband has just gone out to do an inspection....

Ask him if there’s any sign of fresh dead bees at front. I had a smallish swarm attempt to enter another hive a couple of weeks ago. Failing that probably just an orientation flight although it sounds a little more?

Ask him if there’s any sign of fresh dead bees at front. I had a smallish swarm attempt to enter another hive a couple of weeks ago. Failing that probably just an orientation flight although it sounds a little more?
No dead bees at all.
I've seen some massive orientation flights but this was something different... the bees were facing the hive as though orientating but in addition, this massive flood into the hive. It was so intense it was like watching a waterfall of bees cascading off the landing board into a huge pile below as they were trying to cram into the entrance!

Did it rain?
It wasn't raining at the time and although it did rain shortly afterwards, it was nothing more than a summer shower which didn't last long. I did think it was possibly weather related once I'd realised they weren't swarming, but I've never seen a colony do that, even in the worst sudden downpours. Maybe this colony is a bit on the over reactive side?!
My husband had to abort a proper inspection due to the on and off showers so that will need to wait now unfortunately.

If you see that action by the bees then run out and get your washing in. Your neighbours will wonder how you ever knew it was going to rain!
🤣 they're certainly more predictable than the weatherman!
I've seen them hurry back before the rain plenty of times before which I also love watching, I'd just never seen them doing it with such intensity! It was like the first few minutes of the Boxing Day sales 😂

Latest posts

Back