Help -- advice for bad back!!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Norvic_chris

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all, I've put my lower back 'out' by over-enthusiastic gardening and lifting -- worse than ever before -- and I am unable to move about/bend etc. I'm hoping it's only temporary and, although I know bad backs have been discussed before, I was wondering if there was any practical advice about what I can do in the short term now that I really can't inspect the hives or lift/add supers.

I don't have a slave/beek-friend close enough to ask and wife/family have refused (a fear of bees, sadly). I currently have 3 hives, one with 3 supers, the other two with one each but needing another as they are filling rapidly. At last inspection (7 days ago, before holiday), there were Q cups in all but no eggs in them or obvious Q cells. Good flow (OSR nearby and loads of blossom), average 5-6 frames of BIAS in each hive.

I suspect that I have no option but to wait to recover (honestly, I can hardly move and even though I am male, it still really hurts!!) and let the hives manage on their own (potentially lose swarms) but if there is anything clever (or simple!) I could do, I would be grateful for the advice. Thank you!

I was wondering if there was any practical advice about what I can do in the short term now that I really can't inspect the hives or lift/add supers.

Dose yourself up with morphine, very good pain killer.

Sorry to hear about the back.

On the assumption that your back pain is not associated with any change in your toilet habits (seriously - if you have problems in that department then you need to go to A and E and get it checked out) and you are able to find a position of ease (ie you are not in intractable pain ALL the time - if so then A and E again) then you might find the following useful:

Your body is responding to the trauma by elevating its alarm signals (pain) and it is giving off those alarm signals as soon as your movements get towards the area of damage - but don't panic because although it might hurt like h*ll it is EXTREMELY unlikely you are doing any further damage as your alarm system won't let you get that close, so take confidence in that.

Also you can try cooling the area of the back that is affected - use a bag of frozen peas on the area (via a wet cloth) for about 10 mins, then remove bag and let the area warm up naturally. Repeat every hour.

Most important is to keep moving - slowly and carefully but do move.

I would recommend seeing an osteopath (that's what I am) (or similar) to help if you can.

Good luck

Ask your association Secretary for any suggestions for prospective slaves or trainees. Or failing that any babysitter or temporary carer - for the bees,not you!

I often have lower back pain and merely dose myself with Paracetamol. I find it lowers the pain level pretty quickly. Any good?

I had a sequence of lower back pain sessions... culminating in being unable to get out of bed without severe # stabbing pains in early 2013. My own fault really as I was having annual attacks from 2011 and did nothing.

I undertook a series of yoga sequences on my back and do them five to six days a week. The pain has now gone and I have had no more attacks since March 2013.. BUT you really require an experienced yoga (or pilates) teacher to show you what to do.. and the mental strength to keep doing them.

I still get stiffness in my lower back in the morning and have to be careful when twisting with weights or bending and lifting with weights (I should do neither).. but basically I am pain free..

Treat the cause and not the symptoms.. and the cause is weak or damaged back muscles.. which require strengthening...

Having said that, I would not contemplate lifting more than 70 kgs at a time and would ensure I use my legs for most of the work...

# severe - as in being unable to move except to cry due to the intense pain

Like madasafish I was in bed for three weeks a couple of years ago. The pain was scream threshold and I still get really bad sciatica so I really really sympathise. Just remember how much it hurts now and never ever do that much again! My wife and I have a saying.... Do a bit and have a sit! .....
I take anti infamitories the moment I feel a tweak! You just have to see it out! I tried everything and nothing worked other than time!
Don't lift hives, the lifting and twisting is the worst thing ever for it!
Best wishes
E

I was advised by a nurse at our local hospital, when I'd twisted the same ankle 3 times in a short time, that you can take ibuprofren and parcetamol at the same time, as a 'painkiller', only in the suggested doses of course.

It worked for me.

Tim.

PS. Just read Enrico's post.
I had a trapped nerve which was causing severe pain, the NHS and private care sent me to a physiotherapist. After one half hour session resting my neck on a hot water bottle I went to a Chiropractor and end of problem in half an hour.

Last edited:
I doubt A+E will be able to do much just fill you full of pain killers usually (speaking from experience) but I searched the dark arts of acupuncture, I don't know what they do only stick lots of needles in you but it worked for me and I have never suffered from a bad back since. Another alternative is a chiropractor

Lie on the floor. One pillow.
Sleep on the floor, one pillow.
Take anti inflammatories.

Hi all, I've put my lower back 'out' by over-enthusiastic gardening and lifting -- worse than ever before -- and I am unable to move about/bend etc. I'm hoping it's only temporary and, although I know bad backs have been discussed before, I was wondering if there was any practical advice about what I can do in the short term now that I really can't inspect the hives or lift/add supers.

I don't have a slave/beek-friend close enough to ask and wife/family have refused (a fear of bees, sadly). I currently have 3 hives, one with 3 supers, the other two with one each but needing another as they are filling rapidly. At last inspection (7 days ago, before holiday), there were Q cups in all but no eggs in them or obvious Q cells. Good flow (OSR nearby and loads of blossom), average 5-6 frames of BIAS in each hive.

I suspect that I have no option but to wait to recover (honestly, I can hardly move and even though I am male, it still really hurts!!) and let the hives manage on their own (potentially lose swarms) but if there is anything clever (or simple!) I could do, I would be grateful for the advice. Thank you!

Bad backs are hilarious to those who haven't got one!
Hopefully it's down to muscle strain or inflammation rather than a prolapsed disc.
If you really can't find help from your contacts you could try advertising for an assistant in return for training and honey. Maybe even form a long term partnership?_

Bad backs are hilarious to those who haven't got one!
Hopefully it's down to muscle strain or inflammation rather than a prolapsed disc.
If you really can't find help from your contacts you could try advertising for an assistant in return for training and honey. Maybe even form a long term partnership?_

yep suffered with prolapsed discs for 5years now, have 4.

just have to pace myself now and strong painkillers everyday.

:thanks: Thank you all for your advice and support -- at least I feel that I'm not alone in my self-inflicted but not deliberate problem. Thanks for the advice about preventions and drugs (anti-inflammatories/paracetamol probably having the edge over morphine simply because I can get them over the counter -- if I could get morphine that might sort many other issues too!). Thanks to Glenviewbee for the osteopath's view and advice (I used to see one but he retired) and for those who have advised yoga/exercising, belts and other longer-term fixes.

So, presuming it's just overdoing it (and I'm sure it is) then in time I will be sorted (I knocked up 10 super frames this afternoon but it HURT and took nearly 3 hours!) but it seems the only sensible thing to do for the bees is advertise for help. I'll contact my association and throw myself on the good nature of my friends and see what happens -- I'm nervous about offering experience in return for help as I'm only in my 4th or 5th season (the memory's going too...) and so limited in experience myself but might be worth a try. Honey buys many favours, it seems!

Off to bed, double-dosed, one pillow, floor looks uninviting... Goodnight and thank you again.

Norvic

Can I suggest you make your own hive stands?

I followed the advice in Ted Hooper's "guide to bees and honey" and mine are a pair of 5ft 3" x 2" wooden bars, 15" apart, standing on legs about 18" high. This eliminates the need for bending when inspecting the BB as roof, supers etc can be lifted off and put alongside - all at the same height.

I doubt A+E will be able to do much just fill you full of pain killers usually (speaking from experience) but I searched the dark arts of acupuncture, I don't know what they do only stick lots of needles in you but it worked for me and I have never suffered from a bad back since. Another alternative is a chiropractor

As a tall chap (6'5) I have often been told as I'm tall bad backs are way of life...but shorter friends seem to get as many issues, so its more about how you lift and twist rather than the weight.....who remembers doing those health and safety lifting courses ? Bend through your knees, keep weight close to you, check or heft the weight before lifting, and don't twist.

All that said, I'm guilty as charged for going at some digging like the clappers then regretting it.

I never believed in the black arts of the chiropractor until I went.....and she also offered acupuncture which really sorted me out. She never uses heat gels, recommend cold gels or sprays or freezer bags. She also said that, sadly, fitness plays a part....middle aged spread is a sign the stomach muscles are softening and an overweight person will obviously change their posture too, which combine to put pressure on the spine and make the core out of muscle balance.

Not a good idea to take pills for too long if you can help it.....hope all with bad backs get better soon !

Regards

S

Norvic

Can I suggest you make your own hive stands?

I followed the advice in Ted Hooper's "guide to bees and honey" and mine are a pair of 5ft 3" x 2" wooden bars, 15" apart, standing on legs about 18" high. This eliminates the need for bending when inspecting the BB as roof, supers etc can be lifted off and put alongside - all at the same height.

My two strongest hives are on a double frame 7" high and 9" breeze blocks so pretty close and I use 14 x 12 brood boxes. At 6'1" these are about the right height for me :)

Too many beekeepers with national hives have their combs so called "cold way" yet work the hives from the rear of the hive (instead of from the side) . This results in twisting of the back to get frames out or put back. Similarly if combs warm way but work hives from the sides (instead of from the rear).

I have my stands at 20" high. Helps my back.
I've had 2 prolapsed discs in years gone by. In those days an epidural jab sorted things out but I am told they no longer do this.
I strongly suggest you try sleeping on the floor. It was the single thing that gave me relief prior to the epidurals. (Takes ages to see a consultant and then achieve treatment).
Good luck and hope you are soon better.

I have my stands at 20" high. Helps my back.
I've had 2 prolapsed discs in years gone by. In those days an epidural jab sorted things out but I am told they no longer do this.
I strongly suggest you try sleeping on the floor. It was the single thing that gave me relief prior to the epidurals. (Takes ages to see a consultant and then achieve treatment).
Good luck and hope you are soon better.

Nope they do still do the epidurals im having tests next weekend to decide if it is suitable for me to have them, and what disc to work on as I have 4 in a row that are degenerating but "not bad enough to operate on yet".

It is one of those things that it depends on risk and reward, do the risks outway the relief it can give.

Latest posts

Back