hello from mid cormwall

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ranaboy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
approx 10. some 14x12, some standard national and a top bar
Hi there,
I have been lurking around reading and learning for a while now and thought I should introduce myself: I started 3 years ago with a local swarm (that occupied one of my hives) and a nucleus of darker bees from a breeder in east cornwall. I have a few different brands of poly nationals hives a few cedar nationals and 2 years ago a cedar top bar hive (that arrived with lighter coloured bees).
I have access to 4 acres within walking distance and the hives are all there.
I tried breeding some queens last year and that was reasonably successful, however I make no claims in really noticing nuances in behaviour or alluding to what types of bees they are.
The darker bees are a bit drippy and runny on the comb, a bit more defensive with more propensity to swarm. Wheras the lighter bees are more relaxed in general and so far appear to be less likely to swarm.

I have learnt a lot from this forum and hope I can engage in future discussions.

cheers everyone and I hope your main season goes well

Welcome ranaboy

Join BIPCo! Bee Improvement Programme for Cornwall... dedicated to saving the Cornish Native black Amm !

Yeghes da

Nice to meet you ....... Hope to hear more in the coming months
Join in and give your comments more often, you may get shot down in flames but take it on the chin and it can be a useful way to learn!
E

Welcome to another Cornish Beekeeper. Look forward to your posts.

Hi there,
I have been lurking around reading and learning for a while now and thought I should introduce myself: I started 3 years ago with a local swarm (that occupied one of my hives) and a nucleus of darker bees from a breeder in east cornwall. I have a few different brands of poly nationals hives a few cedar nationals and 2 years ago a cedar top bar hive (that arrived with lighter coloured bees).
I have access to 4 acres within walking distance and the hives are all there.
I tried breeding some queens last year and that was reasonably successful, however I make no claims in really noticing nuances in behaviour or alluding to what types of bees they are.
The darker bees are a bit drippy and runny on the comb, a bit more defensive with more propensity to swarm. Wheras the lighter bees are more relaxed in general and so far appear to be less likely to swarm.

I have learnt a lot from this forum and hope I can engage in future discussions.

cheers everyone and I hope your main season goes well

Welcome to the funny farm, nice to see another 'Pard' on ere!
Sounds like you have a good mix of bees to choose from, my advise, pick the best and have fun
S

:welcome:

Mid cormwall sounds interesting..is that an alternate universe? :sunning:

:welcome:

Mid cormwall sounds interesting..is that an alternate universe? :sunning:

:welcome: From a Devon beek. And yes Cornwall is an alternative world, fabulous county but if THEY are looking for independence there is a long queue ahead of them!!

Aha, Topical welcome responses....mmm let me see...luckily I was allowed over the Devon/ CorMwall (just spotted my spelling mistake!) border, sorry... Tamar, after growing up in Torbaydos until about 10 years ago, twas the surf and the space, man (alternate universe) that pulled me this way. Thanks for the welcome everyone, looking forward to sharing thoughts, feelings and experiences associated with the wonderful world of bees

Latest posts

Back