Hello from Leeds.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B33K33P3R

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi all,

I have been considering keeping bees for the last four years or so. This year, for my birthday, my children have bought me a course, 'Introduction to bee keeping', at Leeds Bee Keepers Association.

I have an allotment which I am considering for my apiary. I have a neighbour who has an unused garden and is very happy for me to put a couple of hives in it. Some friends have a farm too and seem interested in having a hive eventually.

I am fortunate to have a bee keeping friend who is more than three miles away and is willing to be an out-apiary in case of emergency. He is also willing to buddy me.

I look forward to learning from the forum and all of you.

Kind regards,

B33K33P3R.

Hi all,

I have been considering keeping bees for the last four years or so. This year, for my birthday, my children have bought me a course, 'Introduction to bee keeping', at Leeds Bee Keepers Association.

I have an allotment which I am considering for my apiary. I have a neighbour who has an unused garden and is very happy for me to put a couple of hives in it. Some friends have a farm too and seem interested in having a hive eventually.

I am fortunate to have a bee keeping friend who is more than three miles away and is willing to be an out-apiary in case of emergency. He is also willing to buddy me.

I look forward to learning from the forum and all of you.

Kind regards,

B33K33P3R.

Welcome beekeeper. Which side of Leeds are you based?

Hi Gilberdyke John,

Thanks for the reply.

I am based in West Leeds.

B33K33P3R.

Hi Gilberdyke John,

Thanks for the reply.

I am based in West Leeds.

B33K33P3R.

It's years since I retired but I used to have to navigate through and around Leeds pretty regularly. No doubt traffic is worse than I remember it 🙁
Pity humans can't fly over the obstructions like a bee would.

:welcome:

We are like all forums.. Sometimes we have spats.. Just ignore them.

And in beekeeping there are lots of ways to achieve the same result. I find KISS works well..

Hi madasafish,

Thanks for the advice. I like KISS!

I think you have to take the best from people and let the rest go.

@Gilberdyke John

The traffic is worse than ever. Rush-hour seems to be 7-9am and 3.30-630pm!

B33K33P3R.

:welcome: To the forum.

From post 1 it seems you have already solved a lot of the normal first questions. Good luck when you get your own bees.

Hi. I'm in north west Leeds, so our bees may meet up.

Have you any experience of the Temple Newsham Association?

:welcome: To the forum.

From post 1 it seems you have already solved a lot of the normal first questions. Good luck when you get your own bees.

Thank you!

I have a meeting with the local housing officer tomorrow and my neighbour to discuss putting a hive in his garden (a council property).

B33K33P3R.

Have you any experience of the Temple Newsham Association?.

I've been to their shop to buy some frames, and to one of their lectures. It's a good society.
I'm a member of the Harrogate and Claro association, simply because it was their course I went on when starting out. And it's a more pleasant drive from Headingley, though a bit longer.
Any time now you'll get posts telling you not to consider keeping bees in your garden. Ignore them. I've had some hives in mine for a number of years with no problems save when a returning bee gets tangled in my wife's hair as she pegs the washing out.
If you'd like to see my setup some time, PM me.

I've been to their shop to buy some frames, and to one of their lectures. It's a good society.
I'm a member of the Harrogate and Claro association, simply because it was their course I went on when starting out. And it's a more pleasant drive from Headingley, though a bit longer.
Any time now you'll get posts telling you not to consider keeping bees in your garden. Ignore them. I've had some hives in mine for a number of years with no problems save when a returning bee gets tangled in my wife's hair as she pegs the washing out.
If you'd like to see my setup some time, PM me.

That is interesting. I have heard mixed reports of the Leeds Association but I will make up my own mind, I take people as I find them and I am very easy going.
I would love to see your set up. Is your garden large?
My garden is quite small but I imagine there are ways and means of screening and directing the general movements of the bees. My neighbour's garden is a little more secluded and there is virtually no activity from his elderly neighbours.

B33K33P3R.

Hi all,

Here is an update to my first post!

I visited thorn and was concerned that my garden space was too restricted. After seeing the Leeds Bee Keepers' Association Apiary at Temple Newsam and seeing my bee friend's garden, I realised that it was purely a case of direction and management by positioning and screening to guide the bees as I required.

I was given a colony (The Central Plexus, Hive 0) by my friend and all he requested was the replacement of the brood box and frames. Very generous given it was a colony with a Buckfast /Danish hybrid queen and was from this season.

She is laying majestically and has filled the brood box leading me to add a brood super. I have been feeding since they went in the hive and they have taken everything given to them.

A few weeks ago I was given the opportunity to collect a swarm (//https://www.beekeepingforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=40457) and I have now got two colonies in the front garden as the swarm is now in Hive 1. The bees seem quite small and very dark.

Could Hive 1 bee black bees? I am not sure as I do not know the difference between honey bee species yet.

B33K33P3R.

Hi all,
Could Hive 1 bee black bees? I am not sure as I do not know the difference between honey bee species yet.

B33K33P3R.

There is very little to go on, but I would suspect they are Carniolans or near Carniolans. If so there will be no difficulty requeening when needed. If they are AMM, remember requeening will be very difficult....you will need to use the nucleus method. I assume the swarm queen is laying satisfactorily?

Latest posts

Back