Hello from Bedfordshire, another new Beekeeper in your midst

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,
Been in and out of this forum for quite awhile stripping it of the great information and advice that many before me have posted.... finally have registered and here I am!
We were lucky enough to move into a lovely old cottage with huge gardens late last year and from the day we arrived I thought how wonderfull it would be to have some bees.
My grandfather kept bees but sadly before my time but I well remember the stacks of what I now know were WBC hives and frames laid in the corner of a barn on his farm...
Anyway... My wife asked me what I wanted for my birthday and I said "A hives of bees please"
A full colony was purchased from Paynes (wonderfully helpful folk) and were collected on the 3rd May.
Now installed in their new home at the top of the garden and doing very well by the looks of things. Lots of activity in the warm weather and I am finding their comings and goings quite hypnotic, happily sitting watching them for long periods of time. Not sure why but watching them after I have had a hectic work day has a real "unwind" ability
Planning on doing a proper inspection tomorrow and hopefully will find the brood box much fuller than it was when it arrived.... we will see
Thanks to all who have come before me and helped build this great forum... a veritable Hive of activity to be sure.... :)
All the best. Nigel

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the mad world of beekeeping. I am in a similar situation having received my bees on Wednesday. I too have spent a lot of time just sitting and watching them coming and going collecting pollen, nectar and water.

Fascinating little creatures.

Hi Nigel,

Welcome to the mad world of beekeeping. I am in a similar situation having received my bees on Wednesday. I too have spent a lot of time just sitting and watching them coming and going collecting pollen, nectar and water.

Fascinating little creatures.
Seems we are both in good company here.... seem like a great bunch and so much info. Great site!
Bees are really going for it today, seems like que forming to come and go.. love to see them so active.
Actually might grab a coffee and go watch for a while....
Enjoy yours
Thanks for the welcome :)

Seems we are both in good company here.... seem like a great bunch and so much info. Great site!
Bees are really going for it today, seems like que forming to come and go.. love to see them so active.
Actually might grab a coffee and go watch for a while....
Enjoy yours
Thanks for the welcome :)

Welcome. Enjoy your coffee, just don't take banana sandwiches :)

Latest posts

Back