Hefting weight's

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Co / Durham / Co Cleveland and Northumberland
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
17 nucs....
Does any one know the weight of a National hive with 1x super + frames and foundation.
1 Brood box + frames and foundation ..roof and crown board included aswell as the floor..

Without any Bee's or stores.. I do.. ? .but i would like other folk's calculation's.

Is the hive made from plywood or western red cedar, or poly hive, if wooden is the roof a four, six or nine inch, covered in steel or aluminum, floor, is it open mesh with slide in or out, or is it a solid sloping floor, frames are they hoffman or dn1/sn1 or other? What is the crown board made from.

Standard national made from ceder... crown board is made from lead.. lol

That sounds nice and solid... same as you i know the weights, and the final weights they need to be when fully fed for winter, lets see what others think.

Scientific aproach: Nurse your hives allways according your own hives. Open the hive and you see, how much it has food. Then you have a measure for next year.

- for Winter reduce first you wintering space.
- space will be same size as brood area in Late summer.
- then feed frames full.

There is a diffence, how do you weigh the hive, without roof ir with roof. From one side or what.

I compare my hives' weight with bathroom balance to see, that every hive has taken enough. This year I forgot weighing. From one side only.
Not rocket science. 30 years I nursed without weighing, then I became interested.

Last edited:
No scientific approach the way I do it; Roof off, hive tool between floor and brood box, lever downwards and if it feels like two full supers then thats good enough for me, If it feels like one super by Christmas then some fondant added but that is very rare with 14x12

IT is funny that beeks want thousands of scientific facts, what to do. But in fact there are very few scientic reseach about ordinary doings in beekeeping. Question is about well known practice.

Many practices work, because bees tolerate wide range of nursing styles. Only what bees do not stand is lack of food. Bees die in couple of days wgen food is finish.

Hefting hives? You cannot do science from it. Everybody start to laugh. Your career will be over in universty if you try.

I suspect this thread is a friendly discussion regarding weight rather than the merits of manual vs apparatus hefting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stolen from BBKA

Weight of a brood box plus empty frames – 7kg

Weight of a super plus empty frames – 5kg

Weight of bees – 7700 bees weigh 1kg, and therefore 40,000 bees weigh 5kg

Weight of honey in a super – 12kg

Weight of wax in a brood box – 1.5kg

Weight of floor plus crown board – 1kg

To ensure that a colony is heavy enough for the Winter. Consider a colony in a single brood box. To survive the Winter the weight should consist of

Floor and crown board 1kg

Brood box and frames 7kg

Wax in brood frames 1.5kg

Bees (15000) 2kg

Honey 18kg

Total 29.5kg – i.e. between 14 and 15kg when hefting a single side.

2) to ensure that a colony has sufficient stores to survive a dearth in June. Consider a colony with a brood box and one super. Its minimum weight should be

Floor and crown board 1kg

Brood box and frames 7kg

Super and frames 5kg

Wax in brood frames 1.5kg

Wax in super 1kg

Bees (40000) 5kg

Brood (20000) 2kg

Honey (sufficient to ensure survival for a week) 5kg

Total 27.5kg – that is between 13 and 14kg when hefting a single side

You had to go one better lol.. i weighed all my part's the other day on a spare hive and it weighed 50lb or 22.6kg.. i did weigh everything separately but my notes are 59 miles away so i will have to wait to compare... i suppose different qualities and density of wood also makes a difference..

The reason i'm messing about is to try and find the weight of my bee's/brood (if any) and stores which in total + hive is 97lb ..43.9kg at the moment ..

Last edited:

To ensure that a colony is heavy enough for the Winter. Consider a colony in a single brood box. To survive the Winter the weight should ...

Total 29.5kg – i.e. between 14 and 15kg when hefting a single side.

2)...Consider a colony with a brood box and one super. Its minimum weight should be

Total 27.5kg – that is between 13 and 14kg when hefting a single side

So a brood box and super weigh less than a brood box on its own?

Latest posts

Back