Hefting & fondent

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ammerbee

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I hefted my hive today - as a beginner I don't have too much to compare my 'findings' to, but it feels a fair bit lighter than a few weeks ago - is that to be expected - there are about 100 dead bees outside, again, from what I've read casualties are to be expected I know, but I'm feeling instinctively uneasy.

Should I give then fondant or is it too late or needless at this time?

Bees are naturally dying off now, so some dead outside is natural. However did the whole 100 appear at once or had you not checked for some time?. Yes the colony will naturally get lighter as time goes by, quite rapidly soon, when they start brood rearing seriously.
Fondant can Do no harm and will prevent a colony starving to death. Have everything ready, and slap on at least 1 kg. many posts on here about how to administer fondant, on top of the top bars, over open feed hole in crown board etc. Do you have some top insulation on. ?

Should I give then fondant or is it too late or needless at this time?
If you aren't sure then stick some on. As Drex says it will do no harm even if they have plenty of stores left. But if they haven't and you don't.......

If you are unsure of hefting, a digital luggage scale is easy to use and cheap..Makes guessing easier :paparazzi:

If you are unsure of hefting, a digital luggage scale is easy to use and cheap..Makes guessing easier :paparazzi:

Mental picture of whole hive lifted off the ground in weight sling to check weight.
Perhaps a little more description on using scales would be of help to the original poster.

When you heft a starving hive you will be amazed how light it is. The secret is to feed before this state but not so much that they mix it with the spring honey. Do what you think is right and learn from it for next year.
E

If in doubt feed a good chunk of fondant. You can always turn any left over into spring syrup. So no loss and win win.

Mine at the moment weighs very nicely on the heavy side and yes I am feeding fondant too. More to the point they are scoffing it. :)

PH

yes have top insulation - will slap some on - I don't think the die off was sudden - I hadn't looked for about 10 days

so I have a poly hive - it has 5 vent holes in the crown board - I'm guessing I will need to take the grids off and simply lay the fondant on?

Back