Heatwave

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silentscyther

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Two
Hi I have a swarm in an uninsulated nuc. The top bar hive I ordered is due any day now. I’ve just received an insulated polystyrene nuc. Should I leave the swarm, which is quite big, in the present nuc until the top bar arrives or put it straight into the insulated nuc for a few days? I’m worried about heatwave stress. I’ve put a water station close by.
Bees were super active yesterday in the heat.

Hi I have a swarm in an uninsulated nuc. The top bar hive I ordered is due any day now. I’ve just received an insulated polystyrene nuc. Should I leave the swarm, which is quite big, in the present nuc until the top bar arrives or put it straight into the insulated nuc for a few days? I’m worried about heatwave stress. I’ve put a water station close by.
Bees were super active yesterday in the heat.
As long as they are not in contact with the metal roof they should be ok

The polynuc will help to keep them warm or cool, depending on the outside temperature. No insulation will be harder for the bees to thermoregulate.

Why will it be harder? Insulation provides a stable temperature

Thanks I’d seen a comma where there was none. Apologies 🙏👍

Mine Sitting around on rhe doorstep tonight at nearly 10pm ! The smell of honey ripening very strong.. lots of stuff ib bloom still around here ...

Attachments

• 20220718_214800.jpg
    20220718_214800.jpg
    1,011.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220718_214738.jpg
    20220718_214738.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Mine Sitting around on rhe doorstep tonight at nearly 10pm ! The smell of honey ripening very strong.. lots of stuff ib bloom still around here ...
Is it ok to orientate hives as per the first pic? Presume it is or you wouldn’t have done it, but just curious if it’s a compromise due to space or something that’s totally normal…

Back