Heat leaks through the hives - insulation index

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quote: Originally Posted by oliver90owner
...My crownboards are simply a sheet of 9mm ply. No holes or anything fancy. Can't get much simpler than that.

Reply by Finman

6 mm ply?
30% simplier than 9 mm.
I must say that 9 mm ply as inner cover is *.* solution. not at least a good advice to tell others...and others are fancy?

Finman,

I did not really comment on your post responding to me having said my crownboards were plain 9mm ply (14th October), but I now remind you, above, of your apparent rubbish advice/attempted scathing comment. Your reply was sarcastic, at least, and dismissive of 9mm ply, suggesting 6mm was simpler.

Your forked tongue has been revealed in your opening post on this thread where you seemingly indicate your crownboards are 9mm ply also!!!!. To remind you:I have 7 cm thick piece of foam plastic mattres as cover insulation over 9 mm wood board.

It is always easier to be honest at all times, or your mis-truths and empty sarcasm may be found out later.

So, perhaps some of us are not as stupid as you try to make out. Perhaps it is not so clever to do that.

RAB

Chill ! (pun intended)

Friend of mine has a Thermal Camera - about £4k to buy - he uses it for work as a Surveyor. I'll get him to do my house and my hives when we eventually get proper winter weather. I'll post the pics on here...

R2

infrared_hives.jpg

...My crownboards are simply a sheet of 9mm ply. No holes or anything fancy. Can't get much simpler than that.

Reply by Finman

6 mm ply?
30% simplier than 9 mm.
I must say that 9 mm ply as inner cover is *.* solution. not at least a good advice to tell others...and others are fancy?

Finman,

I did not really comment on your post responding to me having said my crownboards were plain 9mm ply (14th October), but I now remind you, above, of your apparent rubbish advice/attempted scathing comment. Your reply was sarcastic, at least, and dismissive of 9mm ply, suggesting 6mm was simpler.

Your forked tongue has been revealed in your opening post on this thread where you seemingly indicate your crownboards are 9mm ply also!!!!. To remind you:I have 7 cm thick piece of foam plastic mattres as cover insulation over 9 mm wood board.

It is always easier to be honest at all times, or your mis-truths and empty sarcasm may be found out later.

So, perhaps some of us are not as stupid as you try to make out.
Perhaps it is not so clever to do that.

RAB

That's rich coming from you! You admitted making up figures and telling lies on here a month or so ago. And that only because you were put in a corner by someone more astute, which isn't difficult to find.

Nationals have a 25mm recess between the bottom and top rails. I have wondered about putting 25mm celotwx in here, -sort of hybrid poly hive. Does anyone think this would be good/bad idea? I have a mix of ply and cedar 14 x 12s, with celotex over the crown board.

You will not do any serious harm....................but

1. the old story about there being no point in fixing the walls if the roof leaks applies. 70% of the heat loss goes up through the cover board and roof.........unless you have serious overhead insulation...and cellotex, which i presume is such a thing is a material i am not familiar with and do not know how efficient it is.

2. Avoid the walls becoming a warm point. Condensation areas away from overhead the cluster are important as it takes the moisture to a place away from the bees.

Over head must be the best insulated part.

If you have an OMF then you must really have good top insulation as the two work in tandem.

I have lost count of how many times this has been ever so clearly stated. :)

PH

Cazza, You can always see where the cluster is if you have OMF floor with inspection sheet.
Clear the cappings every week you will be surprised by how much movement there is going on inside.
I do this especially before treating with Oxalic in December, to see how many frames of bees there are.
Bob

Reply by Finman

6 mm ply?
30% simplier than 9 mm.

Finman,

So, perhaps some of us are not as stupid as you try to make out. Perhaps it is not so clever to do that.

RAB

you write too much höpöhöpö. You have often nothing to say but text flows like Rive Thames.
You too often quess or believe in clear case.
But ply is the worst hive material. Expencive and heavy. 6 or 9 mm, as bad.

When I use my 9 mm pruce wood board, it is totally different material than ply. It lets the moisture go through. Ply does not. I have worked with with wood and ply 50 years as hive material. Forget the thick plye.

Cazza, You can always see where the cluster is if you have OMF floor with inspection sheet.
Clear the cappings every week you will be surprised by how much movement there is going on inside.
I do this especially before treating with Oxalic in December, to see how many frames of bees there are.
Bob

Bob
That tells you where they are in the hive in terms of vertical position which I agree is easy to find out but not what I meant.

I meant "where horizontally". Some of my hives have polycarbonate quilt so I can see but some have wood crown board where I cannot.
Cazza

I think you meant vertically. Horizontally will be shown by the inspection board because it's left right front back. Up or down in the hive (vertically) will not be shown by what falls down as it just falls. I suppose you could judge by how big the spread is. Small close pile might indicate low down in the hive, more spread out higher up as it's possibly spread further cause it's fallen further (but I doubt it and even if it did, it would be very subtly different).

I think you meant vertically. Horizontally will be shown by the inspection board because it's left right front back. Up or down in the hive (vertically) will not be shown by what falls down as it just falls. I suppose you could judge by how big the spread is. Small close pile might indicate low down in the hive, more spread out higher up as it's possibly spread further cause it's fallen further (but I doubt it and even if it did, it would be very subtly different).

Thanks for making this clear!
C

Latest posts

Back