HB conspicious by absence?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never seen this plant. Looking it up on wiki, it says that one of its common names is Policeman's Helmet.

There is some growing along the canal near me where they burnt out the knotweed!

And a big patch in the Moston Brook bit too! Bound to be more :)

Welcome to the forum, Mr.Pea :)
HB is Himalayan Balsam.
Or, Policeman's Helmet ...

Ah I see, makes perfect sense now

*scratches head still confused and heads back to the beginner forum*

:iagree:
I had no idea British policemen wore pink helmets
:eek:

It's a plant.

It spreads like crazy.

20 years ago if you saw pink on railway lines it'd have been rosebay willowherb flowers - these days it's all Himalayan balsam.

Do a search for images of it.

I thought policemens helmet was a term for something else. Or is that firemens helmet?:D

At long long last our nucs are carrying HB pollen, just started yesterday............hopefully that will now mean they will be self supporting for a few weeks.

And three days ago I saw a bee with suspicious pollen entering a hive, yesterday I saw a bee with a possible dusting, today two hives are romping it in, clad in their horlicks dusting of pollen.

It will be interesting to see if the other hives latch on as well. The two are at the same end of the apiary which is a little odd I thought but we will see.

PH

Back