Have I made a mistake?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Tom,

I don't want to confuse but with the modern strains of bee I think you will find that a single standard national brood box will not be big enough and it will force you to go to double brood boxes. This is fine size wise but a pain to inspect as you have 22 frames to go through.

I am converting my nationals to 14 x 12 which is the equivalent of 1.5 brood boxes and closer in brood space to my commercials. I would advise you to go the same route but as always - your choice:)
:cheers2: Mike

PS I'm a slow learner - I went from WBC to Nationals to Commercials + single nationals and finally to commercials + 14 x 12 nationals evolution over 30 years:hurray:

.............. - I can use the National Deeps and add a 90mm eke and use 14x12 frames for brood boxes.............

Probably going to go for an eke and 14x12, as they look very simple to make, but may stick with just the deep.

Tom

I'd go the 14 x 12 route, it's so much easier than brood and a half or double brood and you could always ebay the commercial brood box and then buy some pre-made ekes.

Otherwise you could cut down the commercial and use it to make ekes.

Hi Tom
Did you ever get your wired framed excluders that you asked for?
Sounds like he just got shot of what he wanted not gave you what you wanted?

Latest posts

Back