Has anyone extracted honey yet??

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some of us leave them with enough honey to overwinter with.

Some of us leave them with enough honey to overwinter with.

In terms of quantities what is enough?

Although Ive fed sugar syrup I would rather leave honey on for them as it is obviously going to be a lot better for them.

Cheers

Actually it is not obvious at all. It depends on the honey.

Blossom probably is ok but Heather is not.

Think heavy duty high fibre. think long spell with no chance of bowel movement... Heather is not the best of wintering feeds.

PH

Actually it is not obvious at all. It depends on the honey.

Blossom probably is ok but Heather is not.

Think heavy duty high fibre. think long spell with no chance of bowel movement... Heather is not the best of wintering feeds.

PH

Nicely put :D

I am lucky as where I live we have stacks of balsom so I very rarely have to feed. I take the supers off when the balsom just starts to go over. THe bees then still have enough time to fill another super which I tend to leave on. If they get through it fine if not I take it off in the spring.

Yesterday
4 supers + 2 deep = 50kg (110lbs)

They were not all full and not all capped but checked it all with the shake test and it seemed fine and being manly OSR it was time to extract it!

Very happy

Last edited:
Just taken 60 lbs off. Probably oil seed rape - anybody know how long it would take to set at room temp? If it does set hard and hence does turn out to be OSR, I would then have a go at seeding it with soft set as per instructions on the forum

All this despite the bees swarming like crazy.

Really pleased with my new Giordan extractor from Agri Nova, worked like a dream

Took 22lb off 7th May, very happy as this is my first colony. Bought them begining of april.

Change in weather has meant mine are now using new stores in supers so glad I hadnt taken any off them yet and slightly concerned about potental nectar gap between early spring flowering and potentially delayed summer flowering (not above 10 oC last few days). Hopefully will be able to do so when weather improves and they've refilled them!

Latest posts

Back