Happykeeper Floor opinions

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SireeDubs

House Bee
Reaction score
Nr Exeter (originally from Gogledd Cymru)
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
7 + nucs
Just looking through the website of a well known supplier and came across the 'Happykeeper Floor'. Apparently very successful for varroa control in some (limited?) trials in the Paris area as it appears to funnel the mites onto the ground below...

Does anyone have any experience of this floor? The cynic in me says too good to be true, but I don't think I have the experience to judge fairly!

Just looking through the website of a well known supplier and came across the 'Happykeeper Floor'. Apparently very successful for varroa control in some (limited?) trials in the Paris area as it appears to funnel the mites onto the ground below...

Does anyone have any experience of this floor? The cynic in me says too good to be true, but I don't think I have the experience to judge fairly!

I am a cynic too. I hear they get propalised / blocked - but have not tried them. The salesman at Beetradex looked honest and sincere though.

I have experiences of rescuing colonies kept on these floors, all had gaps that let wasps in, all got propolised in the wrong position and the colonies got so unhappy that the owners asked me to remove them.

Happykeeper is an euphemism for the state of mind of those who believe the sales blurb.

I'm still very def a novice, so take my opinions as you wish, but I have 2 hives, 1 omf, 1 happy keeper floor.
Both hives housed near identical colonies from nucs, same age, same size, same time etc etc.
1 year on, and both colonies are still near identical, no dramatic improvements on the happy floor, but no problems either. Not blocked, propolised or robbed.
Not sure I would buy another, but don't see a reason to replace it either.

Latest posts

Back