Handheld steam cleaner

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormpsy

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
22 WBC Nationals (14X12)
so I had an idea

in the winter days with nothing to do I had spare wax left over stuck in muslin clothes and strainers I bought a hand held steam cleaner.

thinking from the videos from a steaming chamber for wax rather than solar extractor (as the 3 days we get is pointless) id use a hand held one for the smaller jobs

wow this thing gets warm!!!

pointless.

I can put my hand in front of it and its just wet. need a new idea.

Wallpaper steamer.

+1 ... Drilled a hole in the side of my solar wax mellter and put the tube in ... worked an absolute treat until the sheet of glass on the top of it shattered !! Need to rethink the design a little - perhaps a plywood lid for winter wax melting and glass for summer ? Also - you need a hole somewhere for the steam to vent a little.

Was your glass a double glazed unit? If sealed properly, the pressure at high temps like that can be dangerous. The vent hole needs to be at the lower end as a drain for the condensed water if there is no external wax drain off point.

Was your glass a double glazed unit? If sealed properly, the pressure at high temps like that can be dangerous. The vent hole needs to be at the lower end as a drain for the condensed water if there is no external wax drain off point.

No Rab ... It was just a piece of greenhouse glass that sat on top of my wax melter/hive bonnet which is made of kingspan ... I have no idea why it shattered but I suspect that the centre of the pane got hotter than the edges and the stresses set up were enough to lead to it breaking into several pieces. It was not totally sealed as there were a couple if small gaps where some steam escaped ... Design flaw I think ... If using steam I would not use a glass lid . there is a small drain hole in the bottom for water to drain out ... But I have a few design mods that need doing and that includes a larger drain hole.

Wallpaper steamer for me ! Dual purpose unall

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I use clear poystyrene double glazed for my home built solar extractor.. It takes heat very well.

Back