Handful of bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Itma, I was referring to the original hive that alldigging was talking about and linked to photos. The photos didn't appear to show any food at all and all digging said that their hive was next to this nearly dead one.

Alldigging, fair enough if no queen - sorry, must have missed something earlier in the thread.

Meg

I don't think I mentioned it straight away.

And once they're dead (natural causes or otherwise) what to do with the frames etc? Acetic acid and store? Scorch the boxes?

As a minimum scorch the boxes and get rid of comb that has had brood in. If the rest is in good condition, then yes, treat it with acetic, making sure anything metal has a thick layer of vaseline on or it will get attacked!

Cheap enough to get new frames and foundation compared to the cost of bees.

Meg

One of my sisters-in-law is Welsh.
She says, and I quote, "It tastes like sh!t"

Not being Welsh, and not having tried that specific taste comparison, I hesitate to intervene.

But laver, despite looking like an accident, tastes quite good, actually.

Not being Welsh, and not having tried that specific taste comparison, I hesitate to intervene.

But laver, despite looking like an accident, tastes quite good, actually.

I've not tasted it, but I quite like other types of seaweed - the stuff you get in oriental restaurants etc.
Would give laver a go...

In my younger days (many moons ago) I knew someone who collected seaweed from the beach just down from Sellafield and sold it to someone in Wales.

In my younger days (many moons ago) I knew someone who collected seaweed from the beach just down from Sellafield and sold it to someone in Wales.

Yes I have also heard glowing reports about that stuff !:icon_204-2:

I prefer young Fucas... freshly plucked on a receding tide after a full moon..... quickly sautéed with fresh seabass and chives...

And once they're dead (natural causes or otherwise) what to do with the frames etc? Acetic acid and store? Scorch the boxes?

yes, scorch the boxes and chuck the rest - imo not really worth the effort to clean out the old wax from the frames, soak in caustic soda. rinse then air.

I "culled" a bb with super of vicious bees a few years ago - on a solid floor.
Blocked the entrance after dark and poured about a pint of petrol through the feed hole and left for a couple of days. The frames and detritus made a jolly bonfire and I soaked the boxes in a water butt for a week then put in the sun to dry.

(I now await posts accusing me of being the Antichrist and worse than scum!)

Petrol cull.
Place hive on solid floor, when al bees have returned seal entrance and sides if old worn hive, remove roof and poor no more than 0.5 pint of petrol in through the crown board hole. roof back on return in morning and all bees will be dead.

bees are dead within 5 minutes but let fumes dispurse for safety.

Colin

yes, scorch the boxes and chuck the rest - imo not really worth the effort to clean out the old wax from the frames, soak in caustic soda. rinse then air.

I "culled" a bb with super of vicious bees a few years ago - on a solid floor.
Blocked the entrance after dark and poured about a pint of petrol through the feed hole and left for a couple of days. The frames and detritus made a jolly bonfire and I soaked the boxes in a water butt for a week then put in the sun to dry.

(I now await posts accusing me of being the Antichrist and worse than scum!)

1/2 a pint to a pint of Petrol!?!?!?!?!

I dunno about the Antichrist more the Prodigy!

Yes i would use about a teacup full poured onto a rag like an old flannel.

So if there's an increase in activity is it likely to be robbing? (Can it be too early in the year for robbing?)

Will putting an inspection board in underneath and seeing how much honey is being uncapped tell her?

Also get a few moor hens in the garden early morning. I wondet what they taste like

Sent from my XT615 using Tapatalk 2

The meat off the breast of a moor hen is very small. You would think it would be about the same size of a wood pigeon breast, but its less than 1/4 the size. We filleted it and popped it in a deep fryer. Very tasty, a bit like peregrine falcon.

Hehe. I don't have a clue what peregrin falcon tastes like. I guess pigeons have bigger breast muscle due flying more

petrol fumes

Are you actually asking if there is quick way to kill bees that seems more humane than letting them die slowly? If so....petrol fumes apparently do the job, I have read on this forum how to do it but never had to resort to it yet, but someone will come along who has.....please!
E

in my first year i had a drone lay worker and my mentor said that the best thing was to elimniate them and i used petrol in a bucket shuck them in and all dead as soon as they hit the bottom
the bees was a late cast of the earlier year so only on 3 frames
not worth uniting with my other stronger hive once a DLW Always a DLW
Alan

Latest posts

Back