Grumpy Neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I have my jar of Honey, and will be visiting the lady this afternoon when she is cleaning up her Horse dung.

Thank you for all your advise, and comments.
My wife assures me its probably something to do with Hormones,
However as I only keep Bees I dont know.

It might be something to do with horses.

I live in a House full of women.
And by profession I am a Staff Nurse,
bring back fond memories - many years ago at the dawn of my (now non) career I was 'forced' to reside (unofficially) in the student nurse billets at....... well, best not say. The hormones I could handle but looking back maybe I should have questioned their demand that I should be role player during their blanket bath practical rehearsals which apparently they had to get right to pass their exams. And they weren't very good at it - it took them ages and loads of sessions before they finally got it right!

Well, I have my jar of Honey, and will be visiting the lady this afternoon when she is cleaning up her Horse dung.
Sounds like a good plan. Maybe unfair but there are some owners who see their neat lines of fence and mown paddocks as extensions of the house.

Even if you don't get agreement to cross the fence, it's worth having neighbours friendly. You never know when another pair of eyes might be useful if somebody with theft or vandalism in mind is about. It wouldn't do any harm to offer a bit of reciprocal minding, offer to tell her about any problem you spot with the horses or anybody suspicious hanging around.

She's probably just had enough. Access is usually gained via a gate, hopping over a fence is a bit of a liberty IMO.

Well my visit turned out to be a waste of time as far as continuing to use my current path of access to my Hives (unless I do so against her request)..
However I now know what the problem is.
It seems she has a disagreement with her neighbours.
She is concerned that my frequent visits will allow them to claim access rights via the footpath to their land.

Its her fence and she isnt having anyone use it as a right of way
"Its bad enough having a public footpath across my land" !

I tried a different approach and asked for her help.
She then showed me another access site to the field (a little overgrown).
She informed me that this part of the fence belonged to another person.
It was at this point she lost her jar of Honey that I had taken along,
as she went on to say
"You wont have any problem with him as he is about to 'Pop his clogs soon'.
That line alone and her tone of voice made me realise that here was a person that cared little for mankind, and the world outside her own little bubble.
I wasnt going to handover this precious Honey that so many of my Bees had spent their lives collecting.

I thanked her for talking to me (and for her help), and left.

So my plan:
contact the owner of the other part of the fence (He gets the Honey), and introduce myself and my Bees.
In the meantime try and make my visits when this 'Lady' isnt around.
Fortunately most of my winter preparations are nearly done.

I feel sorry that this lady has such a bitter and sad heart.
The owners of the field where my Bees are sited are probably not even aware of her feelings, and I think it is not my place to say anything.

Thank you for everyones comments, advise, and suggestions. It has been very helpful.
Fortunately I never made it to plan B (swarm through the letterbox :)).
Happy Beekeeping

Sadly, she's right. We have a footpath through our fields, and its a complete pain and the public make a nuisance of themselves. Having someone jump a fence off the footpath to access another plot is bang out of order, and if it continues, could be construed as an access agreement. Why cant you use the access that anyone else (like the landowner) would use? (or have I missed something)

Sadly, she's right. We have a footpath through our fields, and its a complete pain and the public make a nuisance of themselves. Having someone jump a fence off the footpath to access another plot is bang out of order, and if it continues, could be construed as an access agreement. Why cant you use the access that anyone else (like the landowner) would use? (or have I missed something)

I'm with Itchy! If she has horses I should think she's thrilled to bits watching you attacking the fence - no matter who lets them out the owner is liable in law. Who owns the land you keep your hives on? Where is the normal access to that area, how did you get your hives there in the first place? A small woman working up to tackling a 6' man, I can imagine how many sleepless nights she had trying to do it.

But however do you nonchalantly regard your elderly neighbors, I suspect you don't, anyway would buld the guy a stile over my fence if it returned Honey each year.

But however do you nonchalantly regard your elderly neighbors, I suspect you don't, anyway would buld the guy a stile over my fence if it returned Honey each year.

Not really, you are establishing an easment which, if left alone some would claim as a right and before you know it you've got people wandering over your property willy nilly. A public right of way is marked and the public have no right to stray off that marked path.
How would people like it if some stranger walked up your garden path with a bale of hay on his back and acroos the lawn, then clambered over your garden fence to reach his livestock in the field behind your house? There must be a proper access to this piece of land?

Last edited:
Agree with you Jenkins (and some others). I would be more than peed off if some stranger hoped over my fence/land to get to somewhere else. Wouldn't this be considered as tresspass?

Now that she has had the courage to tell you to stop shouldn't be regarded as unreasonable and if it was me I would be greatful (although disappointed) that this been possible for the last 3 years.

Perhaps I'm also missing something?

Not really, you are establishing an easment which, if left alone some would claim as a right and before you know it you've got people wandering over your property willy nilly. A public right of way is marked and the public have no right to stray off that marked path.
How would people like it if some stranger walked up your garden path with a bale of hay on his back and acroos the lawn, then clambered over your garden fence to reach his livestock in the field behind your house? There must be a proper access to this piece of land?

Well I have to say you are right, however I'd make an exception if there would be an agreement over any repairs etc, some people see strangers as their enemy first without tolerance for communication, I can be quite tolerant until I see wilfull damage, could you imaging the girlies living with boundery issues?:hairpull:

................................. She then showed me another access site to the field (a little overgrown).
She informed me that this part of the fence belonged to another person.
It was at this point she lost her jar of Honey that I had taken along,
as she went on to say
"You wont have any problem with him as he is about to 'Pop his clogs soon'.
That line alone and her tone of voice made me realise that here was a person that cared little for mankind, and the world outside her own little bubble.
I wasnt going to handover this precious Honey that so many of my Bees had spent their lives collecting.

I thanked her for talking to me (and for her help), and left.

So my plan:
contact the owner of the other part of the fence (He gets the Honey), and introduce myself and my Bees.
In the meantime try and make my visits when this 'Lady' isnt around.
Fortunately most of my winter preparations are nearly done.

After a successful meeting with the owner of the other part of the fence I now have access again.
A nice older gentleman whom I dont think will be 'Poping his glogs just yet' (as the lady suggested).
He stated that he was more than happy for me to access the field via his part of the fence, and furthermore has said if it makes it any easier I can put a gate there.
He was extremely interested in the Bees, and I have promised to let him look inside a Hive next Springtime.
I felt really good about handing over a jar of Honey to him as I left.
So
looks like I now have a gate to install. Maybe a project for the winter.

A very satisfactory result:winner1st:

Start planning your answer when she sees you at your bees and accuses you of violating "her" fence - I would love to be a fly on the wall for that confrontation.:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

A very satisfactory result:winner1st:

Start planning your answer when she sees you at your bees and accuses you of violating "her" fence - I would love to be a fly on the wall for that confrontation.:icon_204-2::icon_204-2::icon_204-2:

I agree with the first bit, but its wise to keep things cordial and avoid any unnecessary confrontations with people who live in the vicinity of apiaries.
Reminds me of the old joke about the football player asking the ref if he could be penalised for thinking the ref was a prat.

Latest posts

Back