Grumpy Neighbours

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve1958

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Whilst out feeding my 'Bees' this morning I had an altercation with the owner of the land next to the field where I have my Bees.

For three years now I have been using a public footpath across this 'ladys' land to gain access to my site, and then jumping over the fence into the field where my Hives are.

Today she informed me that as 'Owner' of the fence she had not given me permission to climb it, and has given me verbal notice not to do so again.

Her words were of a somewhat threatening nature as well.
I had the feeling that if I didnt back down then it would be her word against mine, and who would the police believe.
The 6ft male holding the Hive tool, or the frail little old lady.
(She's not frail, but I am sure she could be if she wanted).

Why are people so sad?

Fortunately the Bees are in the process of closing down for winter, so I will 6 months to work out an alternative route

Has she only just noticed after 3 years ?

Strikes me that something else has rattled her cage ... perhaps a problem with vandals or someone damaging the fence ? Or she got up on the wrong side ?

Give her some honey and ask her permission nicely..

Whilst out feeding my 'Bees' this morning I had an altercation with the owner of the land next to the field where I have my Bees.

For three years now I have been using a public footpath across this 'ladys' land to gain access to my site, and then jumping over the fence into the field where my Hives are.

Today she informed me that as 'Owner' of the fence she had not given me permission to climb it, and has given me verbal notice not to do so again.

I had the feeling that if I didnt back down then it would be her word against mine, and who would the police believe.

Why are people so sad?

Fortunately the Bees are in the process of closing down for winter, so I will 6 months to work out an alternative route

Take notice of her "vebatim" create a method of leaping clear of her fence, then her words will be foundationless, use a stepladder of sorts, get a horse and jump it! the foxhound crew always get away with it!.

Offer to build a gate, or get a motorbike and a ramp.

Give her some honey and ask her permission nicely..

This.
A diplomatic approach to begin with followed by plan B (?) if it fails.
I quite often butter up neighbours near out apiaries with some honey and leave my phone number so they know who to ring if they see anything untoward.

Firstly, check the ownership of that fence. It may not belong to her.
Secondly, do you have to leave the footpath to reach the fence? Might be a problem, but perhaps the path should be adjacent to the fence/hedgerow and the line of the path has been moved further into her field.
Thirdly, what could the outcome be, if you were to ignore her protestations.

Has the fence deteriorated due to your use? If so, you could offer to reinforce it.

Better to ask why there is a problem, taking along a peace offering at the time.

Lastly it is not likely to be a police matter unless it concerns criminal damage; more likely a civil matter for which she would have to pay to get an injunction? I don't know what that 'freedom to roam' law might include in cases like this.

RAB

It's my experience of neighbour disputes that there's generally something that causes it to kick off, frequently unrelated to the matter in dispute. Could it be that she's suffered damage or noise nuisance, not caused by you but that makes her want to discourage people generally from using the right of way? Perhaps she's worried that you may acquire a legal right of way over the fence by long user. Is she thinking of selling her home and wants nothing nearby that might put off prospective buyers? She may have recently been stung by an unidentified flying insect, and blames your bees. Has she had a problem with swarms in her eaves? Are you parking in such a way as to cause her inconvenience? Did you beat her in the local pub quiz? Are you brusque in your manner when passing her home? Did she receive a letter from the taxman that morning that put her in a bad mood?

Think back. You, someone associated with you, a passing rambler, or simply indigestion, has done something to spark this.

Do as others have said. Take her a jar of honey and discuss the problem. See if it can be resolved to the satisfaction of both of you.

It's my experience of neighbour disputes that there's generally something that causes it to kick off, frequently unrelated to the matter in dispute. Could it be that she's suffered damage or noise nuisance, not caused by you but that makes her want to discourage people generally from using the right of way? Perhaps she's worried that you may acquire a legal right of way over the fence by long user. Is she thinking of selling her home and wants nothing nearby that might put off prospective buyers? She may have recently been stung by an unidentified flying insect, and blames your bees. Has she had a problem with swarms in her eaves? Are you parking in such a way as to cause her inconvenience? Did you beat her in the local pub quiz? Are you brusque in your manner when passing her home? Did she receive a letter from the taxman that morning that put her in a bad mood?

Think back. You, someone associated with you, a passing rambler, or simply indigestion, has done something to spark this.

Do as others have said. Take her a jar of honey and discuss the problem. See if it can be resolved to the satisfaction of both of you.

The best free advice you will get.
And probably better (more helpful) than anything you might pay for! :)

Maybe she is fimilar with "An Bechbretha", see below.

An Bechbretha: Old Irish Bee Laws
In Ireland during the early medieval period beekeeping was so important that there was a complete list of laws dedicated to beekeeping. The bee laws, called the Bechbreatha (Bee-judgments) were part of a set of laws that governed the country called the Brehon Laws. Of all the laws relating to land and agriculture, the most attention was paid to role and significance of the bee in Irish culture at the time. There were over twenty pages dedicated to bees and beekeeping covering swarms, hives and honey production.
One example of the Brehon Laws is as follows:
"It was known that bees gathered their honey from the surrounding district, so the law was that the owners of the four adjacent farms to the beekeeper were entitled to a certain small proportion of the honey: and after the third year each was entitled to a swarm!"
Further information on the role of the bees in early Irish agriculture and the Bechbretha will be added shortly.
Suggested Reading: Fergus Kelly, A Guide to Early Irish Law (Dublin, 1988); Early Irish Farming: The Evidence of the Law Texts (Dublin, 1997)Testimonials

Maybe she is fimilar with "An Bechbretha", see below.

"It was known that bees gathered their honey from the surrounding district, so the law was that the owners of the four adjacent farms to the beekeeper were entitled to a certain small proportion of the honey: and after the third year each was entitled to a swarm!"

Problem solved - post a swarm through the old bat's letterbox :D:eek:

Why are people so sad?

She may not be happy with having a public footpath across her land but if it's formally registered on the local definitive map in your council rights of way department thats not something she can challenge. However she may own the boundary fence and unless the right of way goes onto the field you are using she could well be correct. Where is the proper access to the field your bees are on? Jumping over a fence suggests you are straying from the right of way or that the fence should not be obstructing the path. Which is it?
Rights of way are wonderful but can be full of pitfalls. You need to check with the ROW department before going any further.

I think I could be a bit miffed if someone just assumed "it would be alright" If she is the owner of the fence, did you not ask her about jumping over it before-hand?

And how do you get your supers off and back to an extractor?

I would ask what the problem was - and are you damaging it or has someone else damaged something nearby so she's a bit miffed in general, apologise as you didn't realise you were causing her concern and ask her what is the best course of action.

How does someone else get to the field to farm it? - or are you just cheekily taking a short-cut? I think they do have gates in Hampshire? :)

The land-owner might have a better site herself - if it would help pollinate her flowers etc. ???

Well, I have my jar of Honey, and will be visiting the lady this afternoon when she is cleaning up her Horse dung.

Thank you for all your advise, and comments.
My wife assures me its probably something to do with Hormones,
However as I only keep Bees I dont know.

Well, I have my jar of Honey, and will be visiting the lady this afternoon when she is cleaning up her Horse dung.

Thank you for all your advise, and comments.
My wife assures me its probably something to do with Hormones,
However as I only keep Bees I dont know.

have you got a gun carry case (empty) you can take with you?

I think I could be a bit miffed if someone just assumed "it would be alright" If she is the owner of the fence, did you not ask her about jumping over it before-hand?

And how do you get your supers off and back to an extractor?

I would ask what the problem was - and are you damaging it or has someone else damaged something nearby so she's a bit miffed in general, apologise as you didn't realise you were causing her concern and ask her what is the best course of action.

How does someone else get to the field to farm it? - or are you just cheekily taking a short-cut? I think they do have gates in Hampshire? :)

The land-owner might have a better site herself - if it would help pollinate her flowers etc. ???

I did ask someone, yes, but it turns out the person I asked wasnt the landowner.
Getting supers off involves passing them to an assistant over the fence (4ft High - the fence that is, not the assistant).
She keeps Horses and has no interest in the Bees,
I can get to it via several other hurdles, so all is not lost.
But the lady's whole attitude floored me.

Maybe I shall find out more later.
If all else fails it looks like I will need to move to Irelans :)

That's a bit below the belt...
:biggrinjester:

I live in a House full of women.
My Hives are full of female Bees.
And by profession I am a Staff Nurse, working with a mainly female establishment of staff.
So Hormones is something I am definately aware of

Latest posts

Back