greetings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

powderhogg01

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
hey everyone, I just stumbled upon this site, hope that I can share some for the community. My name is sam, I live in the high rockies of colorado, USA. I have been part of a bee keeping family my whole life and have finally decided to take on my own hive.
The last time I kept a hive I made a few poor decisions and ended up moving the hive for winter where it failed to get fed like I had asked and the bee colony, which was not the strongest perished.
The hive a 3 stack of deep supers sat in the field where it died and stayed there for 2 years before I could return to get it.
Once I got the hive back I had the chance to get it a proper once over, looks like some wax moths got in at some point.. did a fair bit of damage and made an over all mess of the place.
The supers were in rough shape.. paint peeling and some of the grains on the ends have begun splitting. I went ahead and sanded the supers smooth and removed the old nasty paint. At this point I am on hold, as I am not sure if I should sand away the wax moth marks or if I should just leave them.
I planned on getting bees this summer but was not able to get a package in time, so I will likely do what I can this winter to prep my hive(s).
since I will be starting from a bee package in the spring I will be starting fresh with few bees. My plan is to get 2 packages. I will then build an additional deep super and 2-4 medium honey supers.
I look forward to learning from this site and from the people that frequent it

Welcome, Sam.
Although the site is predominantly British, there are a few on here from the US of A (and elsewhere).
Some beekeeping practices and equipment are different on the other side of the ocean - and the seasons can be VERY different - but the bees are (mostly!) pretty similar ... so there's experiences to be shared in both directions.

:welcome: Sam
I wouldn't worry too much about sanding the interior surfaces. The bees will fill them up if they aren't happy with them.
As ITMA says, there are a few Americans on here so you may find some common interest there. Our climate will be very different to yours but dive right in and enjoy yourself...bees are bees and I'm sure your experience will be most welcome.

Back