Granulation labels

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattiker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi,

Just thinking about labels and seen some Granulation labels for sale - you will have probably come across them before. I'd like to know why on the label it states:

"All pure honey will granulate, in fact this is the best proof of it's quality"

I'm not sure this is such a great statement as it largely depends how you measure quality. I guess it's designed to deter fussy consumers from thinking somethings wrong, but is the above statement factually correct?

Be interested in your views.

Matt

Actually yes it is.

Thank of well known producers whose liquid honey stays liquid... technically it is legally honey but as it has been processed to keep it liquid by flash heating then filtering then cooling thus removing the pollen, so there are no "building blocks" for granulation to start with....

That is what the label is comparing the honey to.

Myself I think it fair comment.

PH

Actually yes it is.

Thank of well known producers whose liquid honey stays liquid... technically it is legally honey but as it has been processed to keep it liquid by flash heating then filtering then cooling thus removing the pollen, so there are no "building blocks" for granulation to start with....

That is what the label is comparing the honey to.

Myself I think it fair comment.

PH

:iagree: - but I think the label perhaps needs to explain why - most of my customers wont have a clue.

However, grammatical errors aside and just playing devils advocate for minute - perhaps honey that does not granulate is better quality?

:iagree: - but I think the label perhaps needs to explain why - most of my customers wont have a clue.

However, grammatical errors aside and just playing devils advocate for minute - perhaps honey that does not granulate is better quality?

Honey that does not granulate has shedloads of fructose (cf glucose...something like acacia).
Or has been heat treated and filtered within an inch of its life.

My honey last year was an oak colour and runny - even after only a basic run through a sieve. In fact the 1 jar I have left is still totally liquid...:D

Honey that does not granulate has shedloads of fructose (cf glucose...something like acacia).
Or has been heat treated and filtered within an inch of its life.

Right so honey that has a higher proportion of fructose to glucose is of a lesser quality to a honey that granulates more readily ;) Or at least if you took that label as gospel you'd conclude as such.

My honey last year was an oak colour and runny - even after only a basic run through a sieve. In fact the 1 jar I have left is still totally liquid...:D

Mine was a reddish hue of mahogany and and has only just started granulating in the jar. Wonderful stuff and now nearly all gone.

Latest posts

Back