Feeding dry sugar

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jambo

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
10+
I'm interested to hear views on this. It is mentioned briefly in Clive de Bruyn's book but otherwise most references seem to focus on syrup (1:1 and 2:1), fondant and candy. He mentions that sometimes the bees don't recognise that it is sugar and throw it out of the hive, but that seems to be easily remedied by dampening it a little with a spray bottle.

Aside from its straightforward availability, one of the benefits seems to be that they won't store it. On the downside I guess they need to fetch water to consume it. Other plus over syrup is they can't drown in it!!

I see a lot of threads on here where people are advised to get the super off and feed - because they appear to need feeding and syrup would contaminate the honey crop(?).

IF they won't store it then surely dry sugar is a valid alternative?

I decided I would try it myself in my strongest colony when I upped them to double brood (bursting with bees and all frames covered in brood). New BB was foundation so figured they could do with a boost to draw it quickly while preserving what was in the super. Not to mention being far North and currently in what appears to be our 17th week of April.

I filled a frame feeder about 2/3 full of granulated sugar, 1.5 kg if I recall correctly. Then scooshed it a few times with a trigger spray.

They have gradually eaten their way through it, when I go for an inspection there are always a bunch in there feeding. Drew out the comb nice and quick, supers have continued to fill. And I don't have sleepless nights about them starving.

Provided that my super isn't full of bee-made sugar syrup I think it has been a resounding success.

What are others' thoughts and experiences with this?

Unless we go into a long wet spell I won't be feeding anything until the Autumn.

It is not really necessary and, (as we soon discover) is highly likely to get the attention of the local Jaspers, thus being counter productive.

However, this method might be an improvement if it negates the invitation to the robbers! Keep us informed.

Oh, sorry to p!55 on your bonfire but, if they are taking it then they'll be storing it somewhere too!:ohthedrama:

Last edited:
if you did want to feed sugar, make hole in the front pour a cup of water till it congeals and put over feed hole, or put four bags above crown board with hole in a square and pack around with sacking in a super and that will absorb any damp and the bees will find it when needed .

Make a few holes in one side of bag and dunk in a bucket of water until air bubbles stop rising.
Place holes above crownboard.
If desperate tip dry sugar onto newspaper place on frames.
I have used it a couple of times over the years when bees are starving.

Latest posts

Back