Good afternoon :)

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsj

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello,

I have just joined. I have no bees yet but have done several hands on courses and read a lot and would love to start at some time and to pick your more experienced brains as to when.

I hope to speak with some of you soon, I'd feel very grateful for advice on my timing - I have posted specifically in the beginner's section to ask you.

Best and thank you

B
x

I think a good time to start is early in the season with a small colony.
That way you get a chance to do your inspections with a smaller colony which should be less stressful than a full hive. Your confidence then gets a chance to grow as your colony does.
If possible get your bees from a reputable supplier and if they are a member of your local assoc you could try and get them to mentor you.
Contacts who have experience are very valuable to help you out or just bounce ideas off when you get one of those new stressful experiences!

Great to meet you!

This Forum is a good place to surf for information.
However, I suggest you also join your local Association, make new friends, get a mentor and ask around for a good supply of bees.

Dusty

:welcome:

I started like you are proposing in 2010...your local beekeeping Association should be able to give hands on training - Essential in my view...

Never looked back despite the odd disaster.

Watch out for the costs...they can run away...(I'm mean)

Great to meet you!

This Forum is a good place to surf for information.
However, I suggest you also join your local Association, make new friends, get a mentor and ask around for a good supply of bees.

Dusty

+1 Good advice

Again where are you in Norfolk? I would suggest you join one of the associations in Norfolk, In West Norfolk there is the Kings Lynn branch and also the Norfolk Assoc. based near Norwich. Some good people in both branches and a source of local healthy bees at a reasonable price.

:welcome:

Mike

Yep ... welcome aboard the best beekeeping forum anywhere ... lots of ideas, lots of views, always plenty of advice, bit of humour and a few arguments .. can't beat it and it gets addictive ... very much like keeping bees.

Many nonbeekeepers find beekeepers eccentric or weird in many respects. The thing I never understood is why beards are so "de rigueur" amongst male beekeepers. Chairpersons only allowed to be in post for three years in most associations (secretaries seem to last much longer).

Welcome bsj. This time last year I had no bees. It's a great adventure. You will have a ball.

Back