gold fish at the allotment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
and lastly is its that easy, why cant i use rainbow trout fingerlings instead , yum yum??

how long does a trout take to grow??

I read a book many years ago which was written for somebody like you Pete. I seem to remember it was called something like "Backyard Fish farming" (at least that was the gist of what it covered)

It gave details of how to raise various types of fish in tanks in your garden including trout. Try your local library to see if they can get you a copy.

The only snag is trout need moving water (according to the book).

EDIT: If the book was backyard fish farming it is by Paul Bryant and Am***n have a used copy at £3.50

Last edited:
ok Pete u can keep sarsa comets or shubunkins if u want more color than goldfish,,u can't keep trout as need cold as in river cold highly oxygenated water...make sure water containers are not situated in full sunlight about 50\50 is good u can leave them out all year long if u have supply to electric a little low power pond header will do the trick to leave a hole for the gasses to escape over winter,,id suggest 4 fish with plenty oxygenating plants and a few pygmy lilies in to cut-out sunlight reaching pond which will help with algae ,,snails waste of time..as for feeding once every other day what they eat in 30 secs is more than enough feed more just put high nitrite in water which in turn feed the algae again,,shout need anything

many thanks for the helpfull ideas, i have decided to go down the plain and simple (cheap) gold fish route, once i find some cheap gold fish, the tanks are interconnected with 40 mm pipe so i can see them having the run of five tanks untill they settle into one , the plants i was thinking of walking the canals and rivers to find some thing.

i did like the ideas of water cress untill some one explained FLUKE to me so i am now off that idea, untill i better understand it.

according to the books i dont need an air pump for six fish below 6 inches long, i like the idea for the winter of transfering them to the green house which is unheated but better than outside.
its just for fun and a laugh to have fish in the water butts,

your right about the trout and the water , i never knew that about it being cold, but saying that because it does warm up and if the tanks were painted black to heat up more the idea is to then research the new great plan and we do love a great plan to keep tilapia i think they are called or some thing that sounds like it any way it was suggested to keep a breeding pair at home and to over winter at home and give them the summer outside, i am not certain how that works but it sounds crazy so i must just try it.

Latest posts

Back