Going to the National Honey Show?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
different boxes can have different amounts of recycled glass and that can affect the perceived colour of the honey eg adding a green tint.
yep - won a commercial class once and when I walked into the marquee, one of the stewards said that, if I was free, the judge wanted a chat, it transpired he was curious as to what the bees had been foraging on to give the honey that slightly green tint. Oh how we laughed when I told him it was the glass not the honey :icon_204-2:
That's why I always look into the honey itself from the top rather than through the glass if judging.

They actually said matching jars and lids from the same manufacturer from the same box. They explained that different boxes can have different amounts of recycled glass and that can affect the perceived colour of the honey eg adding a green tint. They announced at the judges and stewards briefing that there were some jars this year that have laser printing in error and to ignore these. Hope that clarifies.

I did ask the question in the workshop whether judges look at the bottom of jars looking for glass numbers that match eg no.15. I’d previously heard people talk about this but again they said that isn’t considered unless there are 2 very close competitors that they struggle to decide between & I got the impression that doesn’t happen! Also from my limited experience of stewarding at shows for the first time this year no judges looked for this
A slight whiff here, in listing desiderata of a show entry, of membership of Freudian analerati..........

A slight whiff here, in listing desiderata
I seem to spend a lot of my time listening to the dull and the ignorant - they may have their story, but not that sure sometimes whether I want to hear it!

I seem to spend a lot of my time listening to the dull and the ignorant - they may have their story, but not that sure sometimes whether I want to hear it!
I can't help myself and just have to add "Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth." 😶

Correct me if I'm wrong ... but I thought you could only enter the NHS in the honey classes if you had already won a first at a local honey show judged by a qualifying Honey judge ?
Yes this is wrong - I’ve never won first prize for honey in my local show but have won first at the national

I've read that it's plastic in oceans rather than landfill that we need to be concerned about. An article in the Independent last week made the case for dumping plastic in landfill rather than in the 'recycling' bag - because so much supposedly recycled plastic actually goes abroad to countries to be processed / recycled and actually ends up in the ocean.

Don't know what to believe - or do!

I've read that it's plastic in oceans rather than landfill that we need to be concerned about. An article in the Independent last week made the case for dumping plastic in landfill rather than in the 'recycling' bag - because so much supposedly recycled plastic actually goes abroad to countries to be processed / recycled and actually ends up in the ocean.

1667497345197.png

Just to try to reduce plastic consumption as much as possible I guess.

Bought some 1st prize dark honey at the show, which is something I've never tried. Quite an odd taste, bit like a Fisherman’s Friend to begin with.

Attachments

• A8BA5CC6-DE6B-443B-A6F7-4181C9AFB585.jpeg
    A8BA5CC6-DE6B-443B-A6F7-4181C9AFB585.jpeg
    520.7 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts

Back