God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Our PSB has come and gone.

Does anybody have success with cauliflowers?
I struggle with them ..out of a dozen seedlings last year only three formed heads, they took forever and the curds were very small, when I harvested them I found the heads were all infested with little black flies - I don't mind a little additional protein in home grown produce but they were really all over them so off to the compost bin ...

Mine open up like broccoli

I think that's basically what they do -- the curds are the early form of the flower head, so the "broccoli" stage follows. I think as our weather is changing they're tending to go straight through the curds stage and into flower. I had the same thing happen with some of my summer broccoli last year, and in fact one of the reasons I said that my brassicas have not been as good as usual is that some have also passed straight through the stage where we'd eat them. Some of my cabbages for instance haven't formed a proper heart, but immediately split in an attempt to flower. It's all very strange.

James

This year our cauliflowers were small but had good success the previous few years. Weather was the reason I reckon.

haven't grown caulis for a few years now but I used to get decent result following my grandfather's trick of, as soon as the curds start forming gathering all the leaves tightly over then and holding the bunched leaves in place with a rubber band

haven't grown caulis for a few years now but I used to get decent result following my grandfather's trick of, as soon as the curds start forming gathering all the leaves tightly over then and holding the bunched leaves in place with a rubber band
Yes ... that's what I do ... clearly the insects got through or the eggs had already been laid.

The alternative is to assume the pepper plants that I attempted to over-winter in the greenhouse are in fact dead (they certainly look it) and dump them on the compost heap.

James
I harvested the last of my chillies in the greenhouse, they have, very slowly, mostly turned red, quite surprised really as it's an unheated greenhouse - All the leaves have drooped on all the plants but about half the stems are still green. I cut them back to about 6" gave them a small drink and I'll leave them be for the time being. Some of the stems were brown and woody so no hope for them I would assume - unless they re-grow from the roots ? I'm in uncharted territory now with this ...

As an aside .. I made the mistake of not wearing gloves when I processed the chillies and collected the seeds ... having washed my hands at least 20 time since about 4pm when I finished with them I can still taste the heat on my fingers and I made the mistake of rubbing my eye ... took about half and hour for the pain to subside ... anyone got any tips for neutralising chillie fingers ?

Last edited:
We had cauliflower for dinner tonight. It was small but perfect with leaves tightly covering the perfect curd. I just wish I’d grown it
There are some nice ones in the shops... we had a cauliflower cheese the other night with just a few boiled potatoes ... lovely.

I harvested the last of my chillies in the greenhouse, they have, very slowly, mostly turned red, quite surprised really as it's an unheated greenhouse - All the leaves have drooped on all the plants but about half the stems are still green. I cut them back to about 6" gave them a small drink and I'll leave them be for the time being. Some of the stems were brown and woody so no hope for them I would assume - unless they re-grow from the roots ? I'm in uncharted territory now with this ...

Mine are definitely looking dead. I bent one gently at the base earlier today and it just snapped clean through, which doesn't bode well for the rest. Hopefully if yours are still alive they'll make really good plants this year. As far as I'm aware they grow back from side-shoots rather than from the roots, but never having got it to work I can't really claim any great knowledge either.

As an aside .. I made the mistake of not wearing gloves when I processed the chillies and collected the seeds ... having washed my hands at least 20 time since about 4pm when I finished with them I can still taste the heat on my fingers and I made the mistake of rubbing my eye ... took about half and hour for the pain to subside ... anyone got any tips for neutralising chillie fingers ?

Just wait for the comments when you are seen entering the bathroom carrying a pair of rubber gloves :D

As far as I'm aware, capsaicin isn't soluble in water, so washing your hands may well not achieve very much. I believe it is soluble in alcohol however. It has some reaction with the casein in milk and yoghurt too that is supposed to reduce its effect. I know it's common advice to drink milk or eat yoghurt to help with the burning sensation after eating very spicy food. I'm not sure that those pieces are particularly helpful in this situation however.

James

Mine are definitely looking dead. I bent one gently at the base earlier today and it just snapped clean through, which doesn't bode well for the rest. Hopefully if yours are still alive they'll make really good plants this year. As far as I'm aware they grow back from side-shoots rather than from the roots, but never having got it to work I can't really claim any great knowledge either.

Just wait for the comments when you are seen entering the bathroom carrying a pair of rubber gloves :D

As far as I'm aware, capsaicin isn't soluble in water, so washing your hands may well not achieve very much. I believe it is soluble in alcohol however. It has some reaction with the casein in milk and yoghurt too that is supposed to reduce its effect. I know it's common advice to drink milk or eat yoghurt to help with the burning sensation after eating very spicy food. I'm not sure that those pieces are particularly helpful in this situation however.

James
Best order some milk in and get ready to bathe in it .. not sure about spreading yoghurt all over myself ! Won't make that mistake again ... I usually wear gloves it was one of thos ' I'll just process these chillies ..' moments !

Once my wife took from a freezer frozen hot pepper ( one we use as spice for sausages) and put in microwave. It popped inside, she made mistake and opened immediately.. we were coughing for some time..

The casein in milk is a natural neutralizer of capsaicin (the protein that gives chili peppers their heat), at least when eating food. Now I don't know how this advice can help you in processing peppers.

James
A bath in Asses milk?

Just got into growing your own although it is my wife who is the driving force behind it. Got an allotment site nearby in August last year for an apiary and some growing. Moved three hives there a few weeks back and now making plans for what to grow this year. Garlic already planted and most of it is growing well. We managed to get the plot next to this as well as both plots are right at the end and shaded more than the rest. Plan to put some more raised beds and a poly tunnel on the other plot. Need to acquire some more free scaffold boards.
6AEC8DE4-B45A-4026-8F22-55E48771E911.jpeg

Latest posts

Back