God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a lot of 'tigerella' this year as SWMBO fancied stripey tomatoes - she was not amused when she discovered that the stripes all but disappear when they are ripe :icon_204-2:

It's so disappointing when that sort of thing happens. I have grown some chiles this year that produce black fruit, but when you cook them they turn red. What's the point of that? If I wanted red chiles I could have just grown ones that were red!

James

It's so disappointing when that sort of thing happens. I have grown some chiles this year that produce black fruit, but when you cook them they turn red. What's the point of that? If I wanted red chiles I could have just grown ones that were red!

James
Yes like purple beans that turn green when cooked

James
I should be so lucky ! My greenhouse chillies are all still green ! Not much chance of them turning red now . they are a lovely size GREEN ... What can I do with a harvest of green chillies ?

I should be so lucky ! My greenhouse chillies are all still green ! Not much chance of them turning red now . they are a lovely size GREEN ... What can I do with a harvest of green chillies ?

Pickle them? Depending on the type of chile, of course.

I grow jalapenos every year and pickle quite a lot, both red and green, because we use lots of them. That was actually why I wanted the black ones -- to mix up the colours even more. I was hoping to have some red jalapenos to put in the smoker to make chipotles this year, but it's certainly a bit marginal.

James

Pickle them? Depending on the type of chile, of course.

I grow jalapenos every year and pickle quite a lot, both red and green, because we use lots of them. That was actually why I wanted the black ones -- to mix up the colours even more. I was hoping to have some red jalapenos to put in the smoker to make chipotles this year, but it's certainly a bit marginal.

James
They are red chillies that are never going to ripen .. they are a good size and very plump .. I suspect they are going to be quite mild im flavour at this stage. I might leave them for another few weeks until the temlerature drops down here. They are in the greenhouse and we don't tend to get heavy frosts down here in the Costa del Fareham and see if they start to ripen up a bit more.

I have a dehydrator and I might dry these this year as there are a lot of them and once dried and vacuum packed they should last for ages.

They are red chillies that are never going to ripen .. they are a good size and very plump .. I suspect they are going to be quite mild im flavour at this stage. I might leave them for another few weeks until the temlerature drops down here. They are in the greenhouse and we don't tend to get heavy frosts down here in the Costa del Fareham and see if they start to ripen up a bit more.

I have a dehydrator and I might dry these this year as there are a lot of them and once dried and vacuum packed they should last for ages.
Just throw them in the freezer. We have a pot of them every year that lasts through to the next crop. And don't believe that they won't be hot. Depending on the type green chillies can be very hot.

Depending on the type green chillies can be very hot.
:iagree: I once grew a variety called (IIRC) Thai green dragon, one day, whilst pottering in the greenhouse I popped one in my mouth to try (I do like hot chillies) I thought my head was going to melt - SWMBO found me on my knees on the lawn retching, I took some back to the boat (a few of my crew were hardened chilli eaters) we had to delay sailing for thirty minutes!

:iagree: I once grew a variety called (IIRC) Thai green dragon, one day, whilst pottering in the greenhouse I popped one in my mouth to try (I do like hot chillies) I thought my head was going to melt - SWMBO found me on my knees on the lawn retching, I took some back to the boat (a few of my crew were hardened chilli eaters) we had to delay sailing for thirty minutes!
Yes they can catch you out. I made some balsamic shallots one year and put a chilli ( no idea what sort) in the jar. Stan helped himself to both chilli and onion in one mouthful and couldn’t breathe. He looked like he was going to die!

😂😂😂
My sentiments exactly. I was looking for inspiration
I shall advertise them on our Facebook page. Someone might be able to use them. Make sandals or something
Really ? It's too early to be picking medlars ... You have to wait until the leaves are off the tree till they are fully ripe and even then they need to be bletted. I like Medlar jam but it's hard to get hold of them these days ... technically medlar jam is really a cheese as you have to seive the pulp after you soften the fruit by boiling but it makes a lovely marmalade type of jam with a distinctive taste - sort of appley, it's good on croissants or toast and as it's quite a savoury taste it goes well with cheese or cold meats as well. Leave them on the tree and when the leaves are down box a few pounds up and I'll pay for the courier to get them down to me ... I'll be happy to make some up into jam. You can also use the pulp in place of mangoes to make a fragrant chutney.

Meddlars
Really ? It's too early to be picking medlars ... You have to wait until the leaves are off the tree till they are fully ripe and even then they need to be bletted. I like Medlar jam but it's hard to get hold of them these days ... technically medlar jam is really a cheese as you have to seive the pulp after you soften the fruit by boiling but it makes a lovely marmalade type of jam with a distinctive taste - sort of appley, it's good on croissants or toast and as it's quite a savoury taste it goes well with cheese or cold meats as well. Leave them on the tree and when the leaves are down box a few pounds up and I'll pay for the courier to get them down to me ... I'll be happy to make some up into jam. You can also use the pulp in place of mangoes to make a fragrant chutney.
Thanks for ideas.. Will try next season with fruits of true service tree to make jam ( similar taste), this season horrid weather took out all the fruits down.. We usually just wait them to be bletted and eat such. Someone before was making good schnapps of it.. But it is bit too touchy an little amount of schnapps in my point of view.

Oh I haven’t picked them. I’ll save them for you in exchange for a jar of something you make from them.
Yes . We can do that...I usually make quince jelly as well but my friend with the quince tree has moved and the new owner chopped the tree down because they thought they were an inedible type of pear ! Morons...!

Quince also makes a nice jam/jelly/cheese combined with something that has a delicate flavour like rosehip. Or, if you are careful, its also good with vanilla, star anise and ginger... but you only need tiny quantities of the other flavours otherwise they overpower natural sharpness of the quince. But ... quince and rosehip definitely my favourite...

Latest posts

Back