God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is our crop of squashes in store, we go for small varieties as there are only two of us but the butternuts went mad😀View attachment 37698
Very nice. I said about " blue hubbard" to cut in half.. but how big they seem this year, must cut in quarter or even more to fit into oven..

The butternuts look excellent. They'd probably last us until Spring. Are the the other squashes Uchiki Kuri? I've struggled to grow those in the past too.

Butternuts around here are really marginal outdoors. I think even Charles Dowding (down near Bruton?) finds them a bit touch and go. In the polytunnel in previous years they've done exceptionally well, but tend to take the place over. This year we added another polytunnel, mainly to house the chickens if we have "bird flu rules" again (pretty much a certainty?), but I used it just for squashes over the Summer and they've really struggled despite putting a fair quantity of well-rotted horse manure on the soil. It's a bit disappointing, but there you go.

James

Our Gill Pippin and Uchiki Kuri have done remarkably well. Stan puts a big pile of grass in one corner of the field when he tops it in the autumn. That’s where they go. Planted in pots with the bottoms knocked out they never need watering and the pile isn’t improved with the addition of anything.

The butternuts look excellent. They'd probably last us until Spring. Are the the other squashes Uchiki Kuri? I've struggled to grow those in the past too.

Butternuts around here are really marginal outdoors. I think even Charles Dowding (down near Bruton?) finds them a bit touch and go. In the polytunnel in previous years they've done exceptionally well, but tend to take the place over. This year we added another polytunnel, mainly to house the chickens if we have "bird flu rules" again (pretty much a certainty?), but I used it just for squashes over the Summer and they've really struggled despite putting a fair quantity of well-rotted horse manure on the soil. It's a bit disappointing, but there you go.

James
They are Uchiki Kuri, yes. They were all grown outdoors this year but this is the first week we have had real rain. The flood defences they were improving on the river Tone were half way through when they got ...... flooded...... quite amusing really. Happened on Sunday and they came back to find all their diggers and huts under water, parked on the floor plains, you would think the environment agency would know better😄😄😄

It's odd how some things do well and others don't when there's no obvious connection that might explain it. Despite the dry Spring my (early only) potatoes, carrots, garlic and parsnips have done really well. The sweetcorn was pretty good too. Salad leaves have been more of a struggle, but I suspect that's partly down to the deer. Early cabbages were excellent, but later brassicas seem to be struggling, though at least the plants look healthy having been protected from the butterflies. Beetroot haven't done that well, especially later sowings (deer again). Herbs like dill and coriander have managed a few leaves and then bolted.

One of the other crops that struggled was onions. Last year I grew enough that they almost lasted an entire year. This year many have been quite small. I went through them all earlier in the week and sorted out what might be good to pickle, what was large enough to be worth keeping and "the rest". This evening I've started working through that last group, peeling and slicing so they can be frozen as "ready-sliced onions" for curries and so on. It's a bit of a faff but least they won't go to waste which I feel is only right and proper given the way food prices still seem to be going.

My last batch of lettuces and mustards sown this year are just starting to sprout. They'll be the ones that go into the polytunnel and greenhouse to keep us in salad leaves over the winter.

The Polish Linguisa tomatoes that Dani kindly sent me seeds for have been absolutely great, producing lots of really appealing (and often quite large) fruit. I've been very pleased with them. We're planning a raid on the polytunnel tomorrow to pick most of what is ripe for a second batch of pizza/pasta sauce and I've already marked a number of the fruit so everyone knows "leave this one to ripen fully and then I want the seeds". It's quite possible that next year we'll ditch the F1 varieties entirely and just grow these, Amish Paste, a pale yellow variety called Lotos and a cherry called Garnet from saved seed. Unless of course I find other varieties that are new colours and taste good -- there's a variety called "Dívčí Prs" that looks appealing but I gather the Czech name is a bit iffy. I love a dinner plate that is a riot of colour :D I have said to my father-in-law that I will try to propagate cuttings of his favourite F1 tomato, but if I can get them through the winter he's welcome to them.

It feels quite a shock that we're so far through the year already. I'm not entirely sure where the time went.

James

I was at Conwy Honey Fair and had a chat with Jenny Shaw. As well as her Anglesey honey she aways brings a small variety of apples. She and Wally have masses of varieties...a hundred plus? She had some gardeners delight in her lunchbox and she gave me one. It was nothing like the gardeners delight I have ever known. I abandoned growing them years ago. This one was small and sweet; just as sweet as the Sungold. Amazing

We have made enough sauces so tried tomato soup, oh so scrummy, especially with meaty tomatoes and no horrid after taste like tinned stuff.

Today's tomato harvest.

veg-plot-2023-042-rotated.jpg

Clockwise from the top, Amish Paste, Garnet, Lotos, Apero, Polish Linguisa. We'd have had more of the last, but they're my wife's favourite for making her regular lunch of Caprese Salad so there weren't as many ready to pick.

James

They look great James
Somebody sent me Brads Atomic Grape seeds and I wasn't impressed to start with but as the season has progressed they have grown well, are sweet and I really like them. It's a hybrid so no point in keeping the seeds. Brads have produced an Atomic Sunset I might try

They look great James
Somebody sent me Brads Atomic Grape seeds and I wasn't impressed to start with but as the season has progressed they have grown well, are sweet and I really like them. It's a hybrid so no point in keeping the seeds. Brads have produced an Atomic Sunset I might try

It seems that quite a few online sources claim that Atomic Grape is open-pollinated in which case saving seeds should work. I eventually found Brad's website and reading his notes it does like the seeds should come true.

Oddly though, whilst there are pictures of Atomic Grape elsewhere (and it does look quite crazy), I can't find it in his shop. I can find Atomic Sunset along with some other very strange looking tomatoes.

James,

It seems that quite a few online sources claim that Atomic Grape is open-pollinated in which case saving seeds should work. I eventually found Brad's website and reading his notes it does like the seeds should come true.

Oddly though, whilst there are pictures of Atomic Grape elsewhere (and it does look quite crazy), I can't find it in his shop. I can find Atomic Sunset along with some other very strange looking tomatoes.

James,
Thanks for that, I read that it was a hybrid. I will save some.
I'll send you some if you like.

Page three

There are some weird tomatoes, you're right!
got a tomato plant this year from a 'pot luck' shelf at Tanya's (a customer/friend who runs a stock feed business and allows local gardeners to sell their surplus plants for a commission) the person selling it hadn't labelled them but the tomatoes are strange longish fruit and when ripe their bases look like trout pout lips!

got a tomato plant this year from a 'pot luck' shelf at Tanya's (a customer/friend who runs a stock feed business and allows local gardeners to sell their surplus plants for a commission) the person selling it hadn't labelled them but the tomatoes are strange longish fruit and when ripe their bases look like trout pout lips!
sounds like an Italian variety. Are they meaty rather than juicy?

Thanks for that, I read that it was a hybrid. I will save some.
I'll send you some if you like.

Thank you Dani, but this time I think I'm going to have to pass. There have been "discussions" about what tomatoes I should grow next year already, and sometimes it's just best to do as you're told so you can get away with something else instead :D

James

Latest posts

Back