God I love growing our own

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes . We can do that...I usually make quince jelly as well but my friend with the quince tree has moved and the new owner chopped the tree down because they thought they were an inedible type of pear ! Morons...!

Quince also makes a nice jam/jelly/cheese combined with something that has a delicate flavour like rosehip. Or, if you are careful, its also good with vanilla, star anise and ginger... but you only need tiny quantities of the other flavours otherwise they overpower natural sharpness of the quince. But ... quince and rosehip definitely my favourite...
Just took a few hundred weight down the tip. Can't give them away and we have made everything we need from them. We have three quince trees and they have produced so much this year.

Just took a few hundred weight down the tip. Can't give them away and we have made everything we need from them. We have three quince trees and they have produced so much this year.
If only you were a bit nearer Eric.

I have real problems with mine getting leaf blight. I suspect it's down to damp weather during the summer. Unfortunately there's no viable control if you want to eat the fruit.

James

It's so disappointing when that sort of thing happens. I have grown some chiles this year that produce black fruit, but when you cook them they turn red. What's the point of that? If I wanted red chiles I could have just grown ones that were red!

James
It’s a bit like the purple French beans that just turn green when cooked ☹️

We had a lot of 'tigerella' this year as SWMBO fancied stripey tomatoes - she was not amused when she discovered that the stripes all but disappear when they are ripe :icon_204-2:
Green zebra are nice - striped with a nice tangy flavour.

Attachments

• IMG_3598.jpeg
    IMG_3598.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
It’s a bit like the purple French beans that just turn green when cooked ☹️
Or my white beetroot that throws the mind completely. If you ask people what it is when they are eating it they say. I recognise the taste but .....is it turnips😊😊

Ive never heard of white beetroot, does have the same sweet earthy flavour when its cooked?
tried it once - and grew the striped variety.
I eat a lot of beetroot, but to be honest, I found more joy in having a slice of turnip in my sandwich

Ive never heard of white beetroot, does have the same sweet earthy flavour when its cooked?
Not sure if it is all in ones mind but apart from it not staining your hands there is little benefit. It isn't quite as nice as the real stuff and if you leave it in the fridge it gets a sort of brown streak which makes it less appealing. Good for an experiment but won't bother again

Over the weekend blight suddenly arrived on my polytunnel tomatoes, somewhat earlier than in the last few years. Perhaps not surprising given that it has been wet and breezy, and it is the plants nearest the doors that have been worst affected. The plants in Frankenstein's Greenhouse are fine.

I've stripped off all the affected leaves (and a handful of fruit that I wasn't entirely sure about) in an attempt to give the plants a bit more time to finish ripening their fruit before the disease really takes hold. It's probably pot luck now though; I'll just have to keep an eye on them.

The cucumbers are starting to show signs of coming to the end of their productive lives too. They've done pretty well this year though, so I shan't be complaining.

James

Over the weekend blight suddenly arrived on my polytunnel tomatoes, somewhat earlier than in the last few years. Perhaps not surprising given that it has been wet and breezy, and it is the plants nearest the doors that have been worst affected. The plants in Frankenstein's Greenhouse are fine.

I've stripped off all the affected leaves (and a handful of fruit that I wasn't entirely sure about) in an attempt to give the plants a bit more time to finish ripening their fruit before the disease really takes hold. It's probably pot luck now though; I'll just have to keep an eye on them.

The cucumbers are starting to show signs of coming to the end of their productive lives too. They've done pretty well this year though, so I shan't be complaining.

James
We grew our cucumbers outside this year. Meant we didnt have as many which was quite nice but they still produced plenty for us

I've grown yellow beetroot as well ... tastes the same as the red but somehow it just doesn't feel quite right when you are eating it ...I've never pickled it.

Has anyone successfully overwintered Cucamelons? If so, I’d appreciate some advice on how to do it. I have about 4 vines in the greenhouse which I started this year. They are starting to die back a bit now. Should I trim them back and leave them be or should I dig up the root and store them separately? Thanks in advance.

@JamezF
Would you grow Amish Paste again? Having ordered my seed potatoes I was having a browse around tomato seeds.
A neighbour gave me some of her glut of Big Mama which I turned into a thick roasted pasta sauce with onions garlic and oregano but they were pretty seedy.

Has anyone successfully overwintered Cucamelons? If so, I’d appreciate some advice on how to do it. I have about 4 vines in the greenhouse which I started this year. They are starting to die back a bit now. Should I trim them back and leave them be or should I dig up the root and store them separately? Thanks in advance.
WE did it in a heated conservatory by keeping them growing from a cut back root but I dont think it would work in a cold greenhouse. Gone off them now!

Latest posts

Back