glass crown boards

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In this case, wouldn't the light let in whilst sitting observing discourage the queen from coming onto the middle of the frame?:confused:

Well I dont sit there watching them. I just lift off the roof, check whats going on, perhaps fill the feeder and leave them to it. Certainly does not seem to put off the queen. The colony, which is a collected swarm, is going like a train and when i checked through last weekend had frames of sealed brood that stretched from edge to edge on commercial frames. It looked lovely, I thought of all those little workers that are soon to start working. As soon as they occupy enough of the brood box then the glass quilt will come off and they can have supers. I like the idea that I can closely monitor the extent to which they might get crowded.

I have a poly one and get a wee bit of condensation at the edges now. Would not leave it on once I start feeding for winter.

wot about the contact feeders is it still safe to use if u have a glass crown board??

I have one (never used yet) but hope to put it on soon (this weekend). As to a feeder - first the weight may be a problem on the glass but the second problem is that it has only one escape hole so that the feeder will cut the air circulation that is essential in the warm weather.

With a ss OMF and a mirror on a bright day I can look up through the floor without any disturbance. A good bright torch might be handy if the weather is gloomy.

One positive(?) about using a polycarbonate crown board is that when looking at the bees, I've noticed many of then walking on the crown board, which gives me an excellent view of their undersides - useful for checking for possible mites.

bee-smillie

i have a glass crown board and i love it i can spend ages sitting down with or with out a mag glass checking the ladies over, i can inspect for mites and i can do many other sort of checks without going through the hive proper, sorry all but i love them

When professionals use plastic under crown board of polyhive. The meaning here is that bees do not seal the board wirth burr. Perhaps you see something through plastic.

If the plastic condensate water, it means that the upper surface has too little insulation. Condensation happens on the coldest surface.

The wall of polyhive is 3 cm and the uppre surface chould be thicher that condensation happens on side walls.

Upper entrance helps condensation but it is not needed if you have a mesh floor.

Latest posts

Back