• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Giving Up!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
After much deliberation I have decided to give up beekeeping completely. Therefore all my stuff is for sale.
Numbers are approximate!

British National wooden hive parts:-
10ish standard brood boxes
16ish supers, many with clean drawn drone foundation
10ish floors, some are relatively new varroa floors with pull out inserts
8ish roofs
2 nuc boxes
various queen excluders
various crown boards
2 frame feeders
7ish contact feeders
An amount of unused frame parts
A bag of used but boiled frames
An amount of foundation
4 complete and only 2 years old painted Pa*nes poly hives...floor, brood, 2 supers each, roof, plastic crown boards.
2 Gales hives (national size frame but holds 13) 2 Varroa floors, 2 brood boxes, 4 supers, 2 crown boards 2 roofs.
A medium well used but beetight Sherriff all in one suit
All the handling gear...2 hive tools, smoker, queen cage, brush etc.
Stainless steel extractor, 6 frame tangential.
Various extracting stuff, roller uncapper, buckets, sieves.

I've put ish numbers down because it's hard to count when it's all stacked! But I've under estimated rather than over.

4 hives are occupied.

Some of the wooden broods need attention, they have side entrances! Some are very old, but they are all useable.

I'm selling the lot in one go, please don't contact me to ask how much the extractor is!

East midlands
£1200.00 the lot.

Frisbee

Bloody hell Frisbee.

why you giving up? its a real shame.

Also why so cheep. surely if you bung it on ebay looking at what you have there you will get double that for what you have.

If I had the cash I would take it all off your hands.

Heavens Frisbee...you've been here forever....longer than me, a founding member.
Hope everything is OK.

My life circumstances have changed...nothing drastic, in fact it's a pleasant change, but it will leave me with less time, sometimes something has to go and at this point it has to be the bees.

I agree I would probably get more on eBay, but there are 5 (I said 4, but there are 5) colonies of bees as well and you can't sell live animals on eBay, also some of the boxes are not as good as others and I don't want people turning up and grumbling when the good stuff has been picked over.

If it doesn't go on here then I will resort to Ebay. But a while back one of my farmers asked me to look at his desceased uncles gear, it was Modified Dadant and a lot of it and I sold it for him on here quite quickly and for a good price.

Someone could buy all this and set themselves up pretty quickly with 12 colonies and spare kit.

Thanks for your concern.

Frisbee

My life circumstances have changed...nothing drastic, in fact it's a pleasant change, but it will leave me with less time, sometimes something has to go and at this point it has to be the bees.

Good luck, both for the sale and for the future. :)

In the last 25 years I have given up beekeeping probably a dozen times... Store the equipment, you are gonna need it.

You cant quit beekeeping, there isn't a 12 step program for that.

It's a wrench giving up something you've loved, sad for you.

I'm part way through selling off all my model aircraft and gear and it's difficult seeing them fly off into the sunset.

If you do decide to sell off piecemeal, I'll make an offer for Pxxxxs poly hives . . . . .

sorry to here your packing up, hope everything goes well for the future, and thanks for the help in the past
good luck
terry

In the last 25 years I have given up beekeeping probably a dozen times... Store the equipment, you are gonna need it.

It's a valid point but I'm well past the first flush of youth and beekeeping is quite hard work, I can do without it, plus I need the space the gear is stored in :rolleyes:

You cant quit beekeeping, there isn't a 12 step program for that.

Actually it's really quite easy, you make the decision and then get rid of everything. I did it 25 years ago with cake decorating :smilielol5:

Frisbee

Sad to see you go ...but everything has it's place in time and if you have other things that will fill the void all anyone can do is wish you all the best for the future ... whatever that may hold.

Just to say that this has now all sold...what a lovely man (you know who you are) Turned up this evening and didn't quite collect the lot as it wouldn't all fit in his van, but he's returning for the remainder at some point.

Frisbee

Also giving up and wanting to get rid whilst still in young 80's. Shrewsbury area, 4 complete hives on double BB and 2 -3 supers on each and masses of accessories of every possible sort, all new or nearly so and well cared for and disease free - SBI said so last June. All in one go but can supply a nuc from existing bulging hive if pushed. Not greedy and happy to chat and haggle. PMs welcome tho' I don't visit this website very often these days so be patient for a response.

Sad to see

a fellow beekeeper giving up, but good to see quality equipment giving good service over a long time. I bought this particular extractor, made by Taylors, when I started beekeeping in 1971. I only passed it on to FrisBee because I had got fed up with winding the handle and decided to go electric. Good luck to F and all the best for the future xx

Hey Liz, I think your post is a year too late, but nice thought all the same!
E

Latest posts

Back