giving honey back

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beecology

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Hi Folks,

Not posted for a while and have a quick question....

Last season I let one colony have an additional brood box later on to build up some spare comb (for any swarms etc this time round). The bees did this and also filled a few frames of honey.

I didn't extract the honey and I was wondering, could I give them back these frames in spring to help with spring build up? I am also planning to have double brood box on the hive in question as the young queen was a prolific layer.

I haven't checked the frames, but I suspect the honey may be crystallised now - any problems with this?

Thanks in advance

could I give them back these frames in spring to help with spring build up?

Absolutely no point in giving them frames of stores if they have more than sufficient already. In that situation it may well hinder spring build up.

If they need further stores to avoid starvation, they might be as good an option as any, but there are other considerations where brooding is concerned.

could I give them back these frames in spring to help with spring build up?

Absolutely no point in giving them frames of stores if they have more than sufficient already. In that situation it may well hinder spring build up.

If they need further stores to avoid starvation, they might be as good an option as any, but there are other considerations where brooding is concerned.

They still have some stores (hefted hives recently) but my predicament is what to do with the brood box containing the drawn comb and honey as I intend to use it to go double brood (on the same hive I took it off from).

I could always just keep it safe until its required for housing a swarm in the future I guess?

Latest posts

Back