Giving apiarys names.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
30+
Hi, when choosing apiary names should we be including the area where the apiary is, or just coming up with a random name to put on labels ..
E.g. - my cleehill apiary is called Willow arch apiary because I've a lovely Willow arch which I planted in 2004.
I'm trying to pick your brains on this one and I was wondering should we be as imaginative as possible.

Could you give me your reasons why you've chosen such names for your apiarys.
Thanks in advance for your posts.
Mark.

I don't think it's necessary to have an apiary name on honey labels.

I name my honey not my apiary. I use a name that tourists can identify with so that they can buy a jar to remember holidays or buy as a gift and locals identify with so that they buy jars for presents. In Shropshire for example I used the name " Offa's Country Honey". Not in use by me now if anyone wants it! Sold loads at the Offa's Dyke Centre!
E

There are quite a few beeks in Birmingham who name their honey after their postcode I.e. "Bee12 Honey".

How you label it depends I think on your "audience". Enrico's ideas makes perfect sense for a particular tourist market (plus there are some really intriguing and evocative names in his neck of the woods and maybe in yours too).
A name that "feels comfortable" to the buyer and has some emotional/romantic nod to the notion that beekeeping is some sort of rural idyll might be good - as might the exact opposite. Do a little research into honey label, its really fascinating. Much of it has to do with building a brand of course.
Yes be as imaginative as you can, its the overall look of the label and shape of container that also counts.

i did have a lovely name for my honey but the land got built on with massive warehouses,id even sorted out my market for wedding gifts, kept my bees within the famous village of Willy.

Regarding apiary names on jars. I think a large % of Joe P wouldn't even know what an apiary is.

I just think where, when and who made it it what people are interested. I am not a fan of the current label trends (not just honey), especially ones full of ridiculous fluff and claims of rustic provenience and wholesomeness.

If you are going for a fancy label, then for honey I would like to see a picture of the bee keeper with an open hive and frame in hand. And a simple description ie."Bobs Hampshire Honey, summer 2019".

I was actually pondering the idea of putting the label on the bottom of my jars or lids. So It looks as much as possible like a plain jar of honey. I would do this for friends/family and direct sales.

I just think as soon as you put a big label on the jar it looks like a processed supermarket product. To me nothing says small scale, honest and local like a plan jar of honey.

Regarding apiary names on jars. I think a large % of Joe P wouldn't even know what an apiary is.

I just think where, when and who made it it what people are interested. I am not a fan of the current label trends (not just honey), especially ones full of ridiculous fluff and claims of rustic provenience and wholesomeness.

If you are going for a fancy label, then for honey I would like to see a picture of the bee keeper with an open hive and frame in hand. And a simple description ie."Bobs Hampshire Honey, summer 2019".

I was actually pondering the idea of putting the label on the bottom of my jars or lids. So It looks as much as possible like a plain jar of honey. I would do this for friends/family and direct sales.

I just think as soon as you put a big label on the jar it looks like a processed supermarket product. To me nothing says small scale, honest and local like a plan jar of honey.

Sadly, whilst I agree with the sentiment, the empirical evidence is plain to see, at honey shows eg the Bath and West etc sales of more "professionally labelled" looking jars of honey, outstrip sales of less attractive packaging by a factor of 8 or 10 times.

I label honey from my individual apiaries with the name of the village. As my customers want local honey they can immediately recognise the honey most local to them.
My customers also like the fact at all my honeys are different in taste so some buy multiple jars to compare. I returned home one evening to see that one person had bought 6 different types!

Attachments

• IMG_48523.jpg
    IMG_48523.jpg
    893.9 KB · Views: 52
I name my honey not my apiary. I use a name that tourists can identify with so that they can buy a jar to remember holidays or buy as a gift and locals identify with so that they buy jars for presents. In Shropshire for example I used the name " Offa's Country Honey". Not in use by me now if anyone wants it! Sold loads at the Offa's Dyke Centre!
E

Near oswestry / welshpool @ Enrico.
Of topic
I pass offa's dyke path when we bring the sheep down of the black mountains ( cats back) you can walk to hay or abergaveny along it, king Offa must of been a mad man having a dyke in such a place.

On topic! thanks for the replys ... I really like all the different ideas for honey labels @ newbeeneil I love the stand and the lids of your jars are funky! Simple label's but effective.
My sales this year have been 95% local people who want local honey to there area and I've got away with selling it without label's infact imo jars of honey look better without a label , chunk honey in hex jars looks beautiful. Even better when the chunk comes from Amms....

I've three different apiaries. The original is in Headingley. The Headingley Hives alliterates nicely. By chance, the second is in the orchard of a cottage, the name of which begins with H. So we repeated the alliteration.
The third looked as if it was going to be difficult, till we spotted the large hawthorn trees just over the wall.
Three apiaries with different forage, and therefore honey with different tastes and appearance. We keep the honey separate, with different, though related, labels. It works. Some customers want what's local to them, and some buy one of each, then come back for more of their favourite.

Hi Ericaflea
It is all very well to have simple labels but if you are selling honey the label has to have specific information on it. TSO will not like a label that does not conform and the fine is quite heavy.

Hi Ericaflea
It is all very well to have simple labels but if you are selling honey the label has to have specific information on it. TSO will not like a label that does not conform and the fine is quite heavy.

But still, a lot of misinformation is spread, there is nothing stopping a beekeeper having a bespoke fancy label on the front of the jar then a plainer more discreet label elsewhere holding all the mandatory stuff, even a third label on the base with lot numbers and BB dates (as long as there is an indication as to its whereabouts on the 'mandatory' label)

I label honey from my individual apiaries with the name of the village. As my customers want local honey they can immediately recognise the honey most local to them.
My customers also like the fact at all my honeys are different in taste so some buy multiple jars to compare. I returned home one evening to see that one person had bought 6 different types!

Great idea!
The Plymothian Oiks would have that lot away... and sold at the car boot before you could say " Honey..well I never did !!".

Sussex must have fewer criminals!

Great idea!
The Plymothian Oiks would have that lot away... and sold at the car boot before you could say " Honey..well I never did !!".

Sussex must have fewer criminals!

I had some stolen last year but since I've put up a camera I've had no problems and it's good to see my customers :)

I had some stolen last year but since I've put up a camera I've had no problems and it's good to see my customers :)

:calmdown:They wear hoodies and usually are a passenger in a nicked BMW !!

Our Ex postie will not even put out eggs, fruit and veg for sale on his stand on Fridays having suffered a number of drive by take aways... the only time you see a police constable in this neck of the woods is if they are lost!!

Chons da

Latest posts

Back