Ginger bees

• Thread starter Curly green fingers
  • Start date
Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Curly green fingers

One of my collonys at home has some very ginger looking bee's. the bee's are from a new superseded queen they also have very orange abdomens about a third of all new young bee's the rest are black.
I've found out that a bee keeper 5 miles away has bees from Australia. That's what I'm told from the secutary of one of the associations im with.
There's to many different breeds of bee in this country I'm moving to the olchlon valley and taking my black bee's with me. It's very isolated there .
What's that all about? The beekeeper in question moved from down south to south Shropshire .
Perhaps we should have movement certificate's the same as we do for other live stock .
Your thoughts please..

You may kill the Queen if it does not have a suitable profile.

Last edited:
You may kill the Queen if it does not have a suitable profile.

Do you mean it would be best to requeen? I've not seen this queen yet so I don't know what she looks like .
She's very prolific though . I'm very interested in finding her but it will have to wait untill next year. Ginger hair ginger abdomins in the foraging workers What profile could she be finman?

One of my collonys at home has some very ginger looking bee's. the bee's are from a new superseded queen they also have very orange abdomens about a third of all new young bee's the rest are black.
I've found out that a bee keeper 5 miles away has bees from Australia. That's what I'm told from the secutary of one of the associations im with.
There's to many different breeds of bee in this country I'm moving to the olchlon valley and taking my black bee's with me. It's very isolated there .
What's that all about? The beekeeper in question moved from down south to south Shropshire .
Perhaps we should have movement certificate's the same as we do for other live stock .
Your thoughts please..

Perhaps we should have movement certificate's the same as we do for other live stock .:iagree:

Honeybees are food producing stock.

Perhaps then the stock will need to be registered.

Paperwork is easy enough... but fitting all those little ear tags could be difficult!:icon_204-2:

Then perhaps the government may start to treat Beefarmers in the same way as other stock owners.
If a cow proves positive for TB it is destroyed and compensation paid out via the farmers insurers via a government scheme... nothing exists for Beefarmers destroying their stock / colonies under notifiable diseases.

Perhaps this will happen when the UK and its farming community is released from the grasp of the EU and revenue needs to be raised from new sources?

Yeghes da

Last edited:
When your talking about tb in cattle your right, they are sold and it's classed as the red market, they still go into the food chain. The cows are classed as reactors and don't necessarily have fully blown tb.
Beebase, bbka . Would have more information on where collonys are health ect and it would probably save money. Sorry going back to your post cheers.

Honeybee must be very important animal in the UK with its average 10 kg honey yield. A cow gives 8 000 kg milk in a year, plus meat. Plus all processed food from milk.

Very good compare those two animals. You have quite a good bureaucracy in bees already, but more is needed after EU.

Last edited:
I had a friend who bought her first bees from somewhere in Shropshire. She lives in Shropshire, I had never seen bees like them, they were ginger and fluffy and even the workers looked like drones. Most odd. She had them for a couple of years, they were prolific breeders but never produced more than a few jars of honey. Eventually she got another strain of bee and the difference in production was startling.
E

I had a friend who bought her first bees from somewhere in Shropshire. She lives in Shropshire, I had never seen bees like them, they were ginger and fluffy and even the workers looked like drones. Most odd. She had them for a couple of years, they were prolific breeders but never produced more than a few jars of honey. Eventually she got another strain of bee and the difference in production was startling.
E

I wonder where she got them from ? I'll be requeen next year as there not really what I want . I can't pass judgement on the honey production from this collony as these ginger bees are only about 1 month old .
I've had 3 supers from this collony before they superseded. So a bit more than a couple of jars..
What strain did she change to?

Honeybee must be very important animal in the UK with its average 10 kg honey yield.

Wow. Must be a fair old size to produce 10kg of honey each. I bet you wouldn't fit many inside a national bb.

I wonder where she got them from ? I'll be requeen next year as there not really what I want .
Since, as you say you can't pass judgement. What criteria have you used to decide to requeen ?

So you have got there. Look statistics of previous years

In an area with lower than national average yields, I've never had less than 3 times the national average.
Try using averages from the 400 bee farmers instead of the 44,000 amateurs.

Since, as you say you can't pass judgement. What criteria have you used to decide to requeen ?

All of my collonys except this one are dark black bee's and the collony with the ginger bees are quite bad tempered , to the point of when you open the hive numerous bee's bouncing of my veil . It's like a volcano erupting... There also not very stable on the frame .
On another note this collony have given me 62lb of honey this season more than any of my other collonys.

Last edited:
You could try putting a glass of scotch and 1 of Irish w and see which they go for?
On a serious note, there is an online breeder from the Scottish borders who has some really ginger 'local bees', someone may have bought some from him?

You could try putting a glass of scotch and 1 of Irish w and see which they go for?
On a serious note, there is an online breeder from the Scottish borders who has some really ginger 'local bees', someone may have bought some from him?

as I said earlier in the thread our secretary said there's a beekeeper 5 miles away, who has got bees from Australia, how true this is I don't know.
apparently, they have ginger hair and very ginger abdomens.

if I can get a picture I will. I thought it was lots of gorse pollen all over them as I've watched them getting covered while foraging on the flowers there's lots flowering up here and my hives have lots of it stored to.
the rogue hive will go back to black!

Latest posts

Back