Getting stung worries.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you got it in one QB.

I try to be gentle and move deliberately and I even go as far as apologising to them if I think I may have not been quite as gentle as I want to be. Mind you I talk to them all the time I'm near them anyway whether I'm going to do anything or not, and so far it seems to be working. (OK please don't laugh too much at that idea).

Oh, goody! Another nutty beekeeper like me! I talk to my lot all the time, too - even when they're out and about on the flowers. Once had to explain to a passer-by why I was talking to a roadside shrub. (I wasn't - I was talking to the bee on the flower ...)! If they're building 'textbook' comb and the brood frames are perfect, I tell them how pleased I am with them!

Apart from the few like John and Dr Nick and other people who react so badly to stings, for the rest of us is there any wrong that these bees can do. Propolis is (supposedly) full of wonderful properties, Honey is good for you (in moderation of course) wonderful for sore throats and, I've been told, slow healing sore/cuts etc, making mead, as well as being a joy to watch. :) We can make use of their wax in lighting and polish etc.

Oh I suppose there is the frustration and upset that inevitalby occurs when bees are kept. :(

bee-smillie
Oh, goody! Another nutty beekeeper like me! I talk to my lot all the time, too - even when they're out and about on the flowers. Once had to explain to a passer-by why I was talking to a roadside shrub. (I wasn't - I was talking to the bee on the flower ...)! If they're building 'textbook' comb and the brood frames are perfect, I tell them how pleased I am with them!

Wonders if he is on the right forum :confused:

Oops! Must dash! There's a man in a white coat giving me funny looks.

Do you think that both the doctors who advised me to take anti-histamines were wrong then?

Last year I got stung maybe once every time I went into the bees, sureley that is enough to become de-sensitized, but no, my reaction got worse, till eventually I ended up in the local minor injuries clinic, where I was advised to take anti-histamines. I ignored that advise because I didn't want to end up more sensitive as you suggest. A sting earlier this year left me with an angry red arm and a consultant friend told me I ought to take them every time I get stung now, so I do, and the reaction is much more tolerable now.

Frisbee

Well Frisbee you and anyone else who reacts badly to being stung must follow the best professional advise, they can find. I am no doctor! Like you I would not wish to be nursing an angry limb, when there is an effective treatment.

The doctor I was referring to is a beekeeper and was quoting another doctor who works in the allergy unit. This may be new research, I do not know. But, I will try and follow it for myself, as I so far I have not reacted badly to being stung - so far! The heat pen I have seems to work, but I find is unpleasant to use, but it's only for a few seconds so I cannot complain too much.

I do know the allergy unit has had success in treating allergy to bee stings, where beekeepers and others, who have started to react badly have a course of bee venom.

Ther is an easy to read book by Charles Mraz "Health and the Honeybee" which covers many of the pints raised here . he used bee stings to treat auto immune complaints including Arthritis and Multiple Sclerosis. I have administered stings to a number of people on request. They all claimed some benefit, sometimes it was very obvious.Some found the stings very sore while others hardly appear to notice . part of the protocol is the understanding that the first sting (ever) will give a bad reaction where anapalaxis is going to happen and after ten days a full reaction would occur upon recieving a second sting. As someone has previously said though we are all different and sometimes these thing can appear for no apparent reason, Stings would not be given to someone who had a large meal. " The Bible of Bee Venom Therapy" by Dr Bodog Beck, gives a deeper and more thourough investigation on the subject.

Well i talked to mine today. It was at the farm where I have an out apiary. It was "you little b*******d" cause as soon as I lifted the crown board one nipped out and got me right through the glove and it was the heavy duty marigolds from tesco. I was going to put in a feeder for them. With this bad weather we have been having their honey stores have run low so I am having to feed them!
I would recommend the heavy duty marigolds from tesco. They are black but you can turn them inside out to show the yellow. You get the feel of ordinary marigold but a little more protection. That particular colony have gone really nasty - I think they have lost their queen. They were not very nice before, my ninja bees, and they lay down loads of propolis. Its like working with treacle so I wanted to change the queen anyway.
My wife would always recommend not to look for stings and I always get lectured if I get stung. She is a nurse and she always says that people can become sensitised to stings so there is no point in pushing your luck. Make sure that when you are starting with bees that you are with someone. Because when that first sting happens if it goes pear shaped you have help at hand.
I have two colonies at home that are very docile. I have one nuke that came as a very small cast and they have turned out wonderful. They stay on the comb and with most I only need smoke to get them out of the way. Its no fun if you are having to worry where the bees are getting to.
There are bees that are very reluctant to sting and where stings will be a very rare accurrence.

There are bees that are very reluctant to sting

Yes, even some of the apparently nastier ones.

I have a couple of my colonies still where the spring rape was. One is OK, the other just 'bombs' me as soon as I arrive. Won't stay on the comb, bees all around! They follow about 200m.

Well last time I stirred them up, on arriving home I rang to say they were a little angry and the lady of the house should avoid walking in their vicinity. Too late. She had already left with the dog and was told of the message on her return. They had bombed her and followed her but not stung her (bees in her hair though).

Yesterday I removed a large number of bees for a couple of very strong nucs from each colony. Local neighborhood watch chappie saw my car in the field and came to investigate. He was swatting like mad at bees and was still more than 50m away. I shouted him to go and actually run. He did. Saw him later and he did not get stung. Amazing.

For the beginners:- BTW I actally saw the offending queen but thoughts of 'snuff her now' were overridden by 'she might lay another umpteen thousand eggs before I change her' and 'maybe I will just leave her in a hedge, away from people, as she is laying completely full combs, corner to corner, except for a food arch. These are 14 x 12s.

I removed the QE to give extra space, if needed, now some brood frames have been removed. It will, I am quite sure.

With so much brood I am suspecting the weather is going to improve shortly as the bees seem to be better forecasters than the Met Office!

Regards, RAB

Back