geoffrey hopkinson obe

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the process is thus

It is unlikely there is much dirt.

That said one of the OBEs I know had a very chequered history of fighting, including persuasive arguments with 3 representatives of law and order smoking substances and a place on the computer at HQ. He was and is a good man though as the others.

The other one had his for services to Agriculture and was unblemished and like the first, also mystified as he said, "I was just doing my job".

He did however, like many that don't get one, get one, but was mystified as to why.

Come to think of it, I met another OBE recently!

They do give them out like confetti!!!!!! :eek:

Last edited:
I'd like to think that no forum member would give out a phone number just like that...that's really not on :toetap05:

Hi

I wouldn't expect a forum member to give out a number to someone like myself, who clearly you do not know and probably never will, that is perfectly understandable, but it is worth asking.
Instead, I am hoping for someone on the forum who knows or is in contact with Mr Hopkinson to pass the message (and my contact details 0114 2767676 3523) to him.
I hope this has cleared up any misunderstanding.

Regards

Mark

He did however, like many that don't get one, get one, but was mystified as to why.

Perhaps the recipients of these awards were doing what they do for the love of it - be it their hobby\job\whatever and at no point did they think it could be worthy of such an award.
.. this is why they are mystified why they were chosen. I'm sure there is a word for it...

..oh yes..
Humility

I'm sure you will find it in nearly all the "normal" recipients. (this obviously excludes politicians, celbs and many sportspeople )

.. and those who strive for such recognition will probably spend more time promoting themselves than doing what they *should* be doing in the first place. Thus making themselves non eligible for the award.

I don't think it matters whos award it, the Queens or a local club. It is recognition and should be welcomed.

Well done Geoff!
:party:

Danny

Some pretty shabby stuff on this thread, not one to be proud of really.

I don't know the honoured gent, nor really heard of him but if he has been honoured for services to beekeeping then excellent.

PH

If anyone has his contact details could they either pass them on to me OR feel free to pass my details on to him.

You clearly asked for his contact details in the OP

I too know Geoff personaly , a true gentleman,teacher and an excellent bee keeper, a well deserved award to reward his lifetimes interest in bees and wildlife,
congratulations Geoff

Hi

I wouldn't expect a forum member to give out a number to someone like myself, who clearly you do not know and probably never will, that is perfectly understandable, but it is worth asking.
Instead, I am hoping for someone on the forum who knows or is in contact with Mr Hopkinson to pass the message (and my contact details 0114 2767676 3523) to him.
I hope this has cleared up any misunderstanding.

Regards

Mark

Welcome to the forum and not in a million years has that cleared up any misunderstanding.

Read the simple, comment posts on this thread and see how they are used as if they are insults.

Danro:

"Perhaps the recipients of these awards were doing what they do for the love of it - be it their hobby\job\whatever and at no point did they think it could be worthy of such an award.
.. this is why they are mystified why they were chosen. I'm sure there is a word for it...

..oh yes..
Humility"

That's what I said!!

And no, two of the three I know are not humble, one far, far from it.

The third, doesn't seem to be humble but, unlike the other two, we've only met a few times. He's a beekeeper too!

The OH has just walked in and said she knows two others from her club connections, both women. One, a police woman, is not at all humble, but doesn't use her letters.

Well done on Dave Cameron for re-instating this gold standard of recognition for the general population!
If David and Sam can remember not to leave their children behind in the pub after Sunday lunch, more good things may follow.

this thread has really lost it's original purpose hasn't it, sad!

:iagree:

Sniping, politics, back-stabbing and jealousies have no place on this thread.

The more I have found out about Mr Hopkinson the more I am impressed, he has obviously got on with beekeeping and education therein in a quiet and professional manner without feeling the need to court publicity.

I got his home town/village in less than 10 seconds via Google. A little more effort (or even just a letter sent to Geoffrey Hopkinson, {insert home town}) will get results.

I'm not a big fan of reporters (you may have noticed). Especially those who hope for others to do their work for them.

Besides, as he's a reporter how do you/we/I know he's not hoping to dig some dirt? :rolleyes:

He hasn't been able to find Geoffrey elsewhere, so he's using his initiative and approaching a group that might know him to ask for assistance. What is so wrong with that?

If someone knows Geoffrey, they could put him in touch with the reporter and he can then decide where he takes it.

Not all reporters do tabloid stitch-ups, AnotherNewBee. Or phone hacking or paying off coppers. The vast majority are bloody hard working professionals who are generally poorly remunerated for their efforts.

Perhaps the recipients of these awards were doing what they do for the love of it - be it their hobby\job\whatever and at no point did they think it could be worthy of such an award.

..oh yes..
Humility

I'm sure you will find it in nearly all the "normal" recipients. (this obviously excludes politicians, celbs and many sportspeople )

.. and those who strive for such recognition will probably spend more time promoting themselves than doing what they *should* be doing in the first place. Thus making themselves non eligible for the award.

I don't think it matters whos award it, the Queens or a local club. It is recognition and should be welcomed.

Well done Geoff!
:party:

Danny

You don't get one of these gongs without being notified about six months before to see if you will accept it. No reason for someone to be mystified as they find out who has nominated them and for what reason. Most of those who get them in the community have actually done something of benefit to that community, unlike these time serving senior politicians/civil servants.

Last edited:
He hasn't been able to find Geoffrey elsewhere, so he's using his initiative and approaching a group that might know him to ask for assistance. What is so wrong with that?

If someone knows Geoffrey, they could put him in touch with the reporter and he can then decide where he takes it.

Not all reporters do tabloid stitch-ups, AnotherNewBee. Or phone hacking or paying off coppers. The vast majority are bloody hard working professionals who are generally poorly remunerated for their efforts.

:iagree: But he sure did get some interesting material from the negativity in the first few pages whether he gets hold of Geoffrey or not well done lads! :banghead:

:iagree: But he sure did get some interesting material from the negativity in the first few pages whether he gets hold of Geoffrey or not well done lads! :banghead:

yep, not the forum's brightest moment I would wager :banghead:

You don't get one of these gongs without being notified about six months before to see if you will accept it.

Dad found out about his MBE by a friend on the street, it was in the paper before he was informed formally! Maybe different levels for different awards. I think this is great for Geoffrey and great for Beekeeping but this is not the forums finest hour :( Well done that man. not worthy

Latest posts

Back