General husbandry assessment

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Beesy

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Hi all
Anyone got any tips for surviving the assessment? Any experiences anyone wants to share? Nerves and doubts are already plaguing me.
Eb

I've never done it but i was told recently that about 50 per cent failed last year.
You need toshow you have bred queens and the system you use.

I was one of the 50% ....

That passed. :)

I received a nice dark coloured badge to sew onto my bee suit as a target to attract angry bees!

I didn't think it too onerous; I'm sure you'll be fine. Diseases and health are important.

Best of luck!

Last edited:
Download syllabus (updated for 2012) and also the guidelines from BBKA website . Go on one of the many courses that have been set up to prepare people for the general husbandry assessment. Contact the chairman of the exam board: he is quite happy to answer any query on BBKA examinations and assessments (and can also be found on the BBKA forum). The pass rate in 2011 was 71% and 68% in 2010 (so I don't know where the 50% comes from)

Hi all
Anyone got any tips for surviving the assessment? Any experiences anyone wants to share? Nerves and doubts are already plaguing me.
Eb

I had to take my assessor out to lunch before he'd pass me, the things he wanted to do to me! I'm not even gay! :smilielol5::smilielol5:

I am going to try next year. Here are my suggestions

Go to one of the local BKA courses.

Do all your manipulation by the book, make sure your apiary and hives are very clean, have typed out hive records and demonstrate a competent knowledge of extracting , packing and labelling of honey.

I am going to try next year. Here are my suggestions

Go to one of the local BKA courses.

Do all your manipulation by the book, make sure your apiary and hives are very clean, have typed out hive records and demonstrate a competent knowledge of extracting , packing and labelling of honey.

That's a bit harsh typed out hive records not even bee inspectors type out their reports they are written on site unless I need to buy a type writer and keep it in my tool box;)

I took my exam a few years ago, as previously posted lay everything out as requested & anything else you can think of which demonstrates how you do your beekeeping/honey processing.
Have samples of honey/wax ready for inspection. I had two examiners one talking, the other making notes mostly, so it can feel intimidating, my approach was in effect to give them a guided tour.
Having your gear laid may answer a question before it is asked or at least give you a prop to hold and demonstrate, anything will do if it eases the nerves before that inevitable tricky question comes along.

It worked for me, I hope you are successful as well.

That's a bit harsh typed out hive records not even bee inspectors type out their reports they are written on site unless I need to buy a type writer and keep it in my tool box;)

Written will do, but it does say you maybe asked questions about your bee/beekeeping from your notes.
I printed mine out from the computer, the examiners were presented with them. A quick look then they moved on, don't think they fancied wading their way through about 20 pages, but job done.

Latest posts

Back