Galvanized Roof Paint

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MintyHerbert

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
I have a couple of galvanized roofs that have slight rust patches on them, wondered which paint would be best to paint them with. Tried gloss last year but it seems to be bubbling and peeling off. Just wondered what everyone else used. Thanks Christine

My galv roofs kept leaking on the corner folds, I decided to remove all and fibre glass them over with spare stuff I had from a job. Other wise as has been mentioned one might be better simply buying new abelo poly roofs.

Hi Christine,
l have exactly the same issue with some galvanised hive roof tops that l salvaged from some rotten hives last year. I’ve now made new roofs with built in insulation and will fix the ‘tin lids’ back on - painting them first.
From experience of using various types of galvanising paint on all kinds of things, l find that the most ‘zinc rich’ paint is one traded by Teamac. It’s called a primer but will perform equally well as a long lasting topcoat with similar properties of the original zinc galvanised metal sheet - and look good too. Some light rubbing down of the rust spots to smooth them, a good soapy wash and rinse, then these areas neutralised with oxalic type ‘rust killer’, is all that’s needed before application. Although some Teamac thinners is technically required for cleaning up, you could use a disposable brush or lots of dish soap/cream etc. Depending on the degree of rust you could just touch them up. I will be painting the whole roof inside and out for appearance and permanence prior to nailing them back on. Best not to apply in sun or wind as the solvent in the paint evaporates more quickly and the surface will drag - apply fairly quickly, try not to go back.

Attachments

• FB08ABA0-DF90-4476-A870-301C49B54ACF.jpeg
    FB08ABA0-DF90-4476-A870-301C49B54ACF.jpeg
    770.3 KB · Views: 3
Hammerite Garage Door Paint.
Sticks like excrement

J'ai quelques toits galvanisés qui présentent de légères taches de rouille, je me demandais quelle peinture serait la meilleure pour les peindre. J'ai essayé le brillant l'année dernière, mais il semble bouillonner et se décoller. Je me demandais juste ce que tout le monde utilisait. Merci Christine
Hello, I am also in the same situation as you. I want to repaint the roofs, but I am confused by the available choices. Could you share all the specific products or paints that you have used? I have considered ordering roof-paint online, but since I have never painted before, I want to make sure I don't waste my money. Thank you in advance for your advice.

I have a couple of galvanized roofs that have slight rust patches on them, wondered which paint would be best to paint them with. Tried gloss last year but it seems to be bubbling and peeling off. Just wondered what everyone else used. Thanks Christine
Oxalic acid on the rusty bits will convert the rust to Ferrous (or Ferric - can't remember) Oxalate and that will cure the rust and will stop it re-occurring. Wash the surfacef of with water, let it dry and then a spray over with this will hold it in check for years. You don't need to spray the whole roof ... just the bits with the rust.

https://www.toolstation.com/action-can-zg-90-cold-zinc-galvanising-paint-silver/p72367
Or if you are a tight fisted misery like me ... any old paint (spirit based) after the rust has been treated .... Don't paint the galvanised surfaces that are in good condition as the galvanic coating will reject the paint (it's all to do with loose ions) and it will peel off.

Hammerite
No longer any use for this sort of job since they changed the mix; it's now known as Hammer***te.

Not come across Fosroc or Teamac, but Zinga (98% zinc) is another heavy duty cold galv. If you've had enough of bees and feel in need of a diversion, here's Max Ironthumper using Zinga at 9.50 on a back axle he dragged out of a hedge.

Sound galv washed first with a mordant solution (aka T-wash) will accept paint. The Pro-Cote cold galv from Toolstation looks cheap enough to try, although we all know where cheap can lead...

Last edited:
i did mine with a etching primer for aluminium and galvanised then just used up some green metal paint for railings ect on top and black hamerite smooth inside

just get a tin of good old fashioned black bitumenous paint. good enough for all the sheds and barns in this area - never peels and no need for etching primers etc.
You don't see men walking about on top of round topped corrugated roof Dutch barns spreading gasworks tar with a sweeping brush nowadays.

You don't see men walking about on top of round topped corrugated roof Dutch barns spreading gasworks tar with a sweeping brush nowadays.
no, they usually spray it on from cherry pickers (or at least a convenient tele handler) someone has recently bought a lovely old farm but sadly neglected over the last few decades with (probably) 18th century buildings and three Corrugated iron Dutch barns (the older, slate roofed Dutch barn which had stonework pillars in each corner has sadly fallen down) near one of my apiaries and have started serious renovation works - two of the larger barns were repainted this summer. My cousin has also painted his two this year - by just sending up his nephew (who is exactly the same age as him) and his son up with ladders and floor brushes!!

no, they usually spray it on from cherry pickers (or at least a convenient tele handler) someone has recently bought a lovely old farm but sadly neglected over the last few decades with (probably) 18th century buildings and three Corrugated iron Dutch barns (the older, slate roofed Dutch barn which had stonework pillars in each corner has sadly fallen down) near one of my apiaries and have started serious renovation works - two of the larger barns were repainted this summer. My cousin has also painted his two this year - by just sending up his nephew (who is exactly the same age as him) and his son up with ladders and floor brushes!!
Like to hear the traditional way is still in use. These new fangled cherry pickers cost the earth.

Back