Gales!

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Number of Hives
0 - Now in beeless retirement!
The weatherman on BBC South West said today "we are a long way from the gales in the north..."

Which was a bit rich as I have just lost most of the felt off the roof of my shed and the wind is forecast to get stronger later this afternoon. I may not have a shed at all by tomorrow.

Its like that here in Wales, worried about everything in our garden. Wind is whistling down the chimney.

Hmm...haven't checked for wind damage today: too busy with the rain dripping through the oak beam above the main bedroom window (the west wing...lol). Thank you (again) James Bond :)

been gusting upto 50mph in west sussex. 60mph on the isle of wight.

Which was a bit rich as I have just lost most of the felt off the roof of my shed . I may not have a shed at all by tomorrow.

This is what you should expect if you construct your sheds with substandard honey as an adhesive

Logs for the fire

Put new chain on my saw in anticipation of a warm winter, (indoors)!:hurray::hurray:

Kids 12 foot trampoline, complete with safety net enclosure, lifted clean over fence into middle of field!!!
As of yet horses have declined to use it even though it landed right side up.
Gusts of 70mph and increasing - Hope shed is weighed down enough with hive equip from Th**ne sale.........:banghead:

Wife off on maternity leave, phone me this lunchtime to save about 3 hip tiles have come off (they needed changing anyway!) and a large branch of the weeping willow has come down just missing the green house. Again I know I have been saying for the past couple of years that tree needs pollarding again.

lovely jubly more wood for the log pile tomorrow i am going to be busy over the next few days picking it up :hurray::hurray::hurray:

Could do with a good gale - I have just finished clearing the fallen trees from the 1999 "tempest":)

Seriously though hope all your hives and property are ok - flat calm here (at the moment)

AS yet no wind - or rain...

Dunno what Devon you live in then. Just over the border been blowing a gale all day and hissing down. Gradually getting worse. Oaks swaying like a cider drinking tramp. I've said it before and I'll say it again "thank god we sold up and those 50 foot sycamores at the end of the garden are not mine anymore. The new owners neighbours must be bricking it".

Horizontal rain and sleet with wind howling like a banshee through the trees and down the chimney.
The River Sprint nearby is as high as it was during the floods in 2009.
A local hostelry in the National Park has just won permission for three 15meter turbines to reduce the £25K it spends on oil for its generator.
Had a wry smile at this picture on the BBC website

Last edited:
My garden umbrella blew over today, so, more wind here to.
Still waiting for this December heat wave!!!

Seem to be right at the heart of it here - we're tucked up in King George V dock in Glasgow, strong to hurricane winds with some crazy gusts. Spent most of the day on deck tending lines and fenders. (I think our gangways a bit bent as well now!) Can see me doing some serious splicing tomorrow.

Had a wry smile at this picture on the BBC website

Have to wonder if that was down to the blades not furling correctly. All said and done though, that looks like a fairly benign failure. It's far less funny when the blades snap off and fly in unpredictable directions at exceptionally high speed.

James

Been ferociously windy here today (eastern edge of Exmoor, about 125m above sea level and nothing to break up the airflow for miles). Shan't be objecting if one or two of our sycamores fall down, as long as it's not on the greenhouse or the one I built the kids' treehouse in. It's all firewood.

James

It has been ferociously windy and wet here at 1000 feet in Cumbria. Spent the morning with wellie deep water all round the house.

been windy here in the east, but not much rain.
shed roof is 'torched on, double layer', so won't be going anywhere!!

Latest posts

Back